LXG alternatives

screenersam

This is news, Vincenzo, NEWS!
I'm sure most of youse are familiar with the 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen', an excellent graphic novel turned into a pieceofcrap movie. The plot centers around a team of pop-culture heroes from a specific era (late 19th-century Britain) gathered for special work.
I'm trying to think of some U.S. equivalents for certain time periods.

1940s-1950s:
Commander Don Winslow, USCG
Sgt. Joe Friday, LAPD
Kay Lawrence

1960s
Professor Roy Hinkley
Captain Jonas Grumby
Mary Anne Summers
Thurston J. Howell III (and wife Lovie)
Willie Gilligan

alternatie 1960s:
Dr. Benton Quest
Race Bannon
Velma Dinkley
Josie McCoy
'Jughead' Jones

1970s-1980s
Carl Kolchake, investigative reporter, INS
Thomas Magnum, P.I.
Dwayne 'Mad Dog' Murdock
Detective Christie Love
Audrey Horne

2000ish
Buffy Summers
Veronica Mars
Brendan Frye

more details as time permits. I need a few more.
I wonder if Mary Anne and Buffy are related?

Cmdr. Don Winslow. Coast Guard. US Navy officer. Spent WW2 tangling with spies and saboteurs. (source; various serials.)
Sgt. Joe Friday; no-nonsense LAPD detective. Comes across as humorless; a couple beers and a chilidog and a football game (preferably Rams vs 49ers) will see him much more agreeable. (source; Dragnet.)
Kay Lawrence; student and lab assistant with Maian Marine Biology Institute. Assisted in several scientific expeditions in Brazil. Great swimmer. (source: Creature from the Black Lagoon.)

Last edited:
Professor Roy Hinkley, phd. Highly educated in a variety of disciplines, physically rugged, very creative.
Captain Jonas Grumby. Old salt with extensive knowledge of every port and harbor on the west coast and much of the pacific.
Mary Anne Summers. Bright, personable small-town girl from Kansas.
Thurston J. Howell III. Old Money. Friends with the Kennedy and Dulles families. Contacts with upper crusts worldwide. Gifted negotiator and paymaster. Ably assisted by Mrs. Howell, a most charming conversationalist.
Willie Gilligan. Able-Bodied Seaman. Multitasker, albeit not the most adept. Has a goofy charm that many girls find endearing.

Carl Kolchak. Intrepid investigative reporter with INS. Rumor has it he's seen things totally off the map. (source; Night Stalker movie and program.)
Thomas Magnum. Viet-Nam vet and PI. Slacker with a mixed reputation. Smarter than he looks and very determined. (Magnum PI series)
Dwayne 'Mad Dog' Murdock. Viet Nam vet. Expert mechanic and driver. Has sanity issues. (A-Team)
Christie Love. urban detective. (teleseries)
Audrey Horne. Heiress to the Hornes of Twin Peaks. Smart, inquisitive, beautiful. Known to work with FBI. (Twin Peaks)

Buffy Summers. Cute cheerleader. 'Special Skills and Abilities' only known to those with the highest of clearances. (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Veronica Mars. Daughter of a California Sheriff. Genius-level intellect, natural investigator. (Veronica Mars series.)
Brendan Frye. High-school detective. Tough, smart, determined. (from the movie 'Brick')

Dr. Benton Quest. Internationally known physicist and inventor. Has a long history of government work. Widely known and respected. (Johnny Quest)
Race Bannon. Former specfor. Assigned by the DoD to protect Dr. Quest. Formidable fighter, with or without weapons. (Johnny Quest)
Velma Dinkley. High school girl genius. Specializes in investigating bizarre and mysterious affairs. (Scooby Doo)
Josie McCoy. Singer/songwriter/guitarist for Josie and the Pussycats. Traveled extensively. Natural driver/pilot of any and all boat, cycle or vehicles. (Josie and the Pussycats)
F.P. 'Jughead' Jones. Protoslacker, actually very smart and inventive. Great with gadgets. (Archie comics)

For the early periods, I suggest adding Doc Savage to the list, one of the first pulp-fiction action heroes. I spent a lot of time as a kid reading Doc Savage novels (no I'm not that old :P).

1940's: Doc Savage Doc Savage - Wikipedia

I stand corrected.
I notice I'm using a lot of tv characters. guess popular literature didn't give us much to work with or maybe I'm under-read. Sam Spade maybe?

I notice I'm using a lot of tv characters. guess popular literature didn't give us much to work with or maybe I'm under-read. Sam Spade maybe?
Sam Spade might be good.

Some random thoughts...
  • Hardy Boys
  • Nancy Drew
  • Huck Finn
  • Tom Sawyer
  • Edgar Allan Poe (the actual author, not a character)
  • Jack Kerouac (author, not character)
  • Willy Wonka
  • Robinson Crusoe
  • Ichabod Crane
  • Atticus Finch

I believe Tom Sawyer was a character in the execrable movie version?
methinks Crane is a detective of sorts in the tv series 'Sleepy Hollow'?
Poe and Kerouak...fascinating concept. or Hunter Thompson? oy...

"We were on the highway to Barstow driving a souped-up '68 Camaro with a liter of Jack and a sandwich bag full of peyote buttons. I was driving, Kerouak was sleeping, and in the back the Professor was trying to teach Gilligan about the metric system. We had two hours to get into town and track down that vicious Chinsese bastard Wo-Fat. Our buddy McGarret in Hawaii had to turn him over to the feds in return for some U-2 pilot (not Powers, some poor bastard that landed in Yunnan or whatever and they covered it up). Wo-Fat was hooking up with some Muslim scumbag named Bin-Boomer or something. We had to stop them. And get some beer for ****sake."

I believe Tom Sawyer was a character in the execrable movie version?
He was but as a US character he can still be redeemed. :D
methinks Crane is a detective of sorts in the tv series 'Sleepy Hollow'?
Since you were looking for more literary figures I was thinking more of the original version from the story by Washingont Irving. There Crane is a school teacher whose family came from money in old New England. Never know when somebody with text book knowledge would come in hand during that time period.

Poe and Kerouak...fascinating concept. or Hunter Thompson? oy...

"We were on the highway to Barstow driving a souped-up '68 Camaro with a liter of Jack and a sandwich bag full of peyote buttons. I was driving, Kerouak was sleeping, and in the back the Professor was trying to teach Gilligan about the metric system. We had two hours to get into town and track down that vicious Chinsese bastard Wo-Fat. Our buddy McGarret in Hawaii had to turn him over to the feds in return for some U-2 pilot (not Powers, some poor bastard that landed in Yunnan or whatever and they covered it up). Wo-Fat was hooking up with some Muslim scumbag named Bin-Boomer or something. We had to stop them. And get some beer for ****sake."
Wo-Fat... as in Big Trouble in Little China? :D

One more name to toss in the ring... John F. Kennedy. Now before you say "What the heck?!", think back to his World War II days. Then he was a dashing Navy captain in charge of a PT boat. For a story during the WWII days, a clandestine adventure with a young future US President might be an interesting read.[/QUOTE]

all the other sites are spying and stealing yur sikrits

Attachments

• kitteh.jpg
    kitteh.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 41
Back