Singers

if you cant tell by how many of these threads i have started i am into everything involving performing arts including singing! i am in my high school's show choir and other choir groups! i love to sing, honors choirs and workshops everything! classical or Broadway, folk everything except pop(cant sing that unfortunatly!)
any other singers? what have you sung?!

i uuuused to be in a choir! i sang at Carnegie Hall too! It was quite frightening!!!! i sang... church songs.... i guess...

I sing! I've won talent show awards and such, and according to most people I'm the best in my school... which isn't much for a school of 400 kids in Kindergarten through eigth grade, but...

But I never sang at Carnegie Hall. Thats amazing Nance!

Yeah it was... and that sad thing is my mom and dad couldn't go!!!!!! i was like... this is the only time in my life i'll probably be able to sing there ever again!!

It's so different though!!! I'd love to sing on Broadway... that ouwld be amazing!!! i wish i sang better though... my choir was great... but me... hahahhaha i wasn't very good!

he is?! what show and i didnt even know he could sing! can he sing?!?!lol!

and thanks! i want to, and they always say you have nothing to lose! but.......who knows i might!

i was in chorale when i was in 7th, 8th, and 9th grade. i was a soprano. but i haven't sung since and now my voice sounds like felgercarb. :rolleyes: i guess it's true what they say - your voice is like an instrument and if you don't practice, you'll lose your talent.

oh well. *shrug*

okay, so here's something i want to talk about. when you guys think of singers, just in general, whose voices do you find "better": recording artists or broadway performers?

personally, i think broadway performers have ten times the talent that most recording artists have. they HAVE to in order to pull off eight performances a week!

but it seems as if the general consensus is that recording artists have the better voices. i've been watching american idol and fame and some of the judges seem to be saying the same thing - "you don't have an american idol voice, but you could go to broadway." it seems to be implying that their voice isn't "good enough" for american idol or fame, but it's "okay" for broadway.

this just really surprised me because i've ALWAYS thought that broadway was the higher standard. true, i haven't seen that many broadway musicals, but just listening to the soundtracks, their voices always stun me. i'm just sitting there in awe wondering how people could have so much power in their lungs. and then i listen to artists like britney spears or ashanti who, in my opinion, have such thin, generic voices and wonder how anyone could think they have more talent than someone like sutton foster or any other broadway performer.

i don't know, that really annoyed me. everyone these days say they're just doing what they love - singing. but to me, it seems that broadway performers are the ones who are REALLY doing it because they're not doing it for the pay or the fame. in contrast, i think a lot of recording artists are just out there for the money and the fame. [don't get me wrong though, there are quite a bit of recording artists that i love and think have TRUE talent (i.e., john mayer, norah jones, sarah mclachlan, etc).]

ooh...man, another long post. i've been having trouble being brief and succinct lately. sorry, about that. :blush:

Wow- the first person I've met who actually understands and uses the comparision that Britney Spears voice is thin- whenever I say that, people have no idea what I'm talking about. But when I was watching American Idol, I thought Clay would be great on Broadway- it's not that he wasn't good enough for American Idol- he was better than Ruben- but his voice would be put to better use on Broadway, it's just so thick and powerful. For "pop stars" their voices are never as good, but they're singing light and fluffy dance tunes, and I just could never picture someone like Clay singing "Oh baby, baby."

oh yeah, you're definitely right - some people are just better fitted on a broadway stage than on a cd cover. i could defintely see clay on broadway. but the judges on fame and american idol made it seem as if broadway was at a lesser level than recording contracts. which, money-wise and fame-wise, it is, but not voice-wise. whenever they said, "oh, you belong on broadway," they always said it with sort of a disdainful voice. for me, i would have said it, "OHMYGOD!! you TOTALLY belong on broadway!! :woot:" [yes, i'm a dork ^_^]

bottom line: i've always thought broadway performers just had much STRONGER voices in general than most recording artists. :smiley:

and yes, britney spears' voice is pretty thin. there's no substance to it. as opposed to more talented (but less clothed :rolleyes:) singers like christina aguilera.

crazy spinster said:
i was in chorale when i was in 7th, 8th, and 9th grade. i was a soprano. but i haven't sung since and now my voice sounds like felgercarb. :rolleyes: i guess it's true what they say - your voice is like an instrument and if you don't practice, you'll lose your talent.

oh well. *shrug*

okay, so here's something i want to talk about. when you guys think of singers, just in general, whose voices do you find "better": recording artists or broadway performers?

personally, i think broadway performers have ten times the talent that most recording artists have. they HAVE to in order to pull off eight performances a week!

but it seems as if the general consensus is that recording artists have the better voices. i've been watching american idol and fame and some of the judges seem to be saying the same thing - "you don't have an american idol voice, but you could go to broadway." it seems to be implying that their voice isn't "good enough" for american idol or fame, but it's "okay" for broadway.

this just really surprised me because i've ALWAYS thought that broadway was the higher standard. true, i haven't seen that many broadway musicals, but just listening to the soundtracks, their voices always stun me. i'm just sitting there in awe wondering how people could have so much power in their lungs. and then i listen to artists like britney spears or ashanti who, in my opinion, have such thin, generic voices and wonder how anyone could think they have more talent than someone like sutton foster or any other broadway performer.

i don't know, that really annoyed me. everyone these days say they're just doing what they love - singing. but to me, it seems that broadway performers are the ones who are REALLY doing it because they're not doing it for the pay or the fame. in contrast, i think a lot of recording artists are just out there for the money and the fame. [don't get me wrong though, there are quite a bit of recording artists that i love and think have TRUE talent (i.e., john mayer, norah jones, sarah mclachlan, etc).]

ooh...man, another long post. i've been having trouble being brief and succinct lately. sorry, about that. :blush:
CRAZY YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!! CAN I BE YOUR FRIEND?!?!
LMAO! :lol:
okay im sorry about that but i soooo agree with you its unreal! i hardly ever ever listen to pop music becuase i think everyone sucks and the reason why i loved your post so much is becuase you referred to my idol! ^_^ SUTTON! i am purposely going to ny to see her perform in Millie before her contract ends in November(unless she extends it again which would be great! :D )lol!

but i know what you mean about american idol and Broadway, i think they are saying you have a different quality of voice ahembetterahem, like i thought kelly could have gone to Broadway if she hadnt of hurt her voice like she did! she sang from her throat and belted and if you are not properly trained to do that(like Bernadette Peters is) then you will develop nodes on your vocal chords and alter your voice permantly(like miss clarkson has done, notice that reedy quality that she now has?)
i think one of the main reasons i think Broadway singers are 200 times better are because 1: they are are! and 2: i was raised on musicals and opera singers and such(my mom is in an opera company so yeah.....and she teaches... :D so i was raised seeing musicals all my life!and i love it!)
i agree with you on john mayer(whom i was just listening to, man on the side, great cd! ;) )and norah jones and sarah.
plus pop singers abuse their voice giving them a littl life in the spot light where as classicly trained Broadway singers now how to manipulate their voices by lifting their soft palate yet belting which prolongs the life of the voice if belting! :D
sorry im ranting but i just hvae the same view point!!im glad their are others who agree with me!
i mean at parties with my friends, we are not normal and two weeks ago we sat in the basement of a friends house and played pool and fuseball while listnening and singing to Les Mis and Urinetown!!! :D
i also agree with you on Broadway performers not doing it for fame or money becuase most ppl have never even heard of Sutton Foster or Brian Stokes Mitchell if they are not in the theatre arena becuase even though they are famous in their world they arent walking around wearing Gucci and having reporters chase them around the country with millions of fans!
okay i am stopping now but im just glad there are others who share my adoration of Broadway(which needs more fans becuase they are losing alot of money! SAVE BROADWAY! see a show!(i see five everytime i go to NYC so im doing my part! ^_^ i save up money for ny every year!)

LMAO!

silly, you already are! we're shopping associates! ;) :D

like i thought kelly could have gone to Broadway if she hadnt of hurt her voice like she did! she sang from her throat and belted and if you are not properly trained to do that(like Bernadette Peters is) then you will develop nodes on your vocal chords and alter your voice permantly(like miss clarkson has done, notice that reedy quality that she now has?)

yeah, you're right, kelly clarkson definitely has a strong voice and i could see her doing some broadway. and yeah, i've noticed her raspy voice. at first, i thought it was just temporary right after the end of the first american idol because i know they had been working really hard. but what you said makes sense because she still has that raspy voice when she talks. but how does that not affect her singing? i'm sort of curious about that. it sort of sucks that her voice is like that permanently though.

sorry im ranting but i just hvae the same view point!!im glad their are others who agree with me!

nothing wrong with a little ranting. i love it when others rant in response to my rants. it's like a rant-fest. ^_^

crazy spinster said:
LMAO!

silly, you already are! we're shopping associates! ;) :D

yeah, you're right, kelly clarkson definitely has a strong voice and i could see her doing some broadway. and yeah, i've noticed her raspy voice. at first, i thought it was just temporary right after the end of the first american idol because i know they had been working really hard. but what you said makes sense because she still has that raspy voice when she talks. but how does that not affect her singing? i'm sort of curious about that. it sort of sucks that her voice is like that permanently though.

nothing wrong with a little ranting. i love it when others rant in response to my rants. it's like a rant-fest. ^_^
lol! we are! shopping associates and Broadway Babies! ^_^ (i love that song, im just a broadway baby.....:whistle:
yep she has hurt it really bad, it comes through sometimes in her singing you can tell in a moment like this and here and there in miss independent!if she keeps on singing like that you will be able to tell very soon though!sadly! -_- GET A VOCAL TEACHER WHO TEACHES RIGHT! :angry: ..... :blush: ^_^
and yah! RANT FEST!!!!!!!!!

Here's info on Scott's new job:

From E! Online: Suddenly single and show-less Scott Foley starring in a Broadway play this fall called "The Violet Hour", written by the Tony winner of this year's best play Take Me Out, reports the AP. Robert Sean Leonard and Jasmine Guy also star.

ohhhhh, well, all the broadway shows i've seen are musicals--- is Miss Saigon a musical or just a play? (my parent's saw it)

Back