Bono from U2 says he might never play guitar again

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Bono, of rock group U2 fame, had a severe bicycling accident back in November while riding in Central Park, New York. At the time it was reported that he had major injuries to his left eye socket, shoulder blade, and left elbow. The injuries to his elbow might cause him to never play guitar again.

Personally I really don't think of him as a guitarist as opposed to being a lead singer so even if somebody else is brought in to take over lead guitar I don't think it'll affect much. :coffee:

Bono says he now has a titanium elbow and may never play guitar again due to injuries suffered in a New York City cycling accident.

The 54-year-old U2 frontman suffered multiple injuries, including fractures to his left eye socket, shoulder blade and left elbow, when he crashed his bike in Central Park in November. He required hours of surgery after what doctors called a "high-energy bicycle accident."

On the band's website Thursday, Bono said the "recovery has been more difficult than I thought. As I write this, it is not clear that I will ever play guitar again."

He added that his bandmates - The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen - "have reminded me that neither they nor Western civilization are depending on this."

"I personally would very much miss fingering the frets of my green Irish falcon or my ... Gretsch," Bono wrote. "Just for the pleasure, aside from writing tunes. But then does the Edge, or Jimmy Page, or any guitarist you know have a titanium elbow, as I do now?"

The Edge is U2's principal guitarist.

Bono said he hadn't "been able to move around physically" since the accident, and would "have to concentrate hard" to be ready for a U2 tour due to start in May.​

Back