Horror Sleepy Hollow (Fox)

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Title: Sleepy Hollow

Genre: Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2013-09-16

Creator: Len Wiseman, Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Phillip Iscove

Cast: Tom Mison, Oona Yaffe, Lyndie Greenwood, Rachel Melvin, Janina Gavankar, Jerry MacKinnon

Overview: Ichabod Crane is resurrected and pulled two and a half centuries through time to unravel a mystery that dates all the way back to the founding fathers.
Sleepy Hollow (Fox)

A new TV take on the Legend of Sleepy Hollow tale is starting on FOX tonight, September 16, 2013. The original story dates back to 1917 by Washington Irving and has had many interpretations of it over the years including a memorable animated version by Disney and a 1999 live action horror film starring Johnny Depp & directed by Tim Burton.

The tale of a headless horseman terrorizing a small town gets a modern twist with the new series by taking the protagonist, Ichabod Crane, and pushing him through time to modern day 2013 after the town is again under siege from the terror. The town police department reluctantly realizes that Crane can help them even though they don't really know the truth about him. As the episodes air there will be frequent flashbacks between the modern setting and the Ichabod's past nearly 250 years earlier.

Adding another twist is that Ichabod's original timeline is during the time of the American Revolutionary war so added story elements include freemasons and mythological parts of history. In short, think Nicolas Cage's National Treasure mixed in with a bit of Haven layered on top of the original Sleepy Hollow story but set in modern times. Whew! :coffee:

Welcome to SLEEPY HOLLOW, the thrilling new mystery-adventure drama from co-creators/executive producers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci (the “Star Trek” and “Transformers” franchises, “Fringe”).

In this modern-day twist on Washington Irving's classic, ICHABOD CRANE (Tom Mison, “Salmon Fishing in the Yemen”) is resurrected and pulled two and a half centuries through time to unravel a mystery that dates all the way back to the founding fathers. Revived alongside Ichabod is the infamous Headless Horseman who is on a murderous rampage in present-day Sleepy Hollow. Ichabod quickly realizes that stopping Headless is just the beginning, as the resurrected rider is but the first of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and only one of the many formidable foes that Ichabod must face to protect not only Sleepy Hollow, but the world.

As Ichabod finds himself in 2013's Sleepy Hollow, he discovers a town he no longer recognizes and grapples to understand. Teaming up with Lt. ABBIE MILLS (Nicole Beharie, “42,” “The Good Wife,” “Shame”), a young cop who has her own supernatural experiences, the two embark on a mission to stop the evil that has awoken along with Ichabod and that now is seeping into this once-sleepy town.

Clues from the past enlighten mysteries in the present, as each episode features a flashback to Ichabod's life in 1776. Ripe with untold stories from American history and cloaked in mythology, the divide between present and past becomes dangerously blurred. Lives are in the balance, including that of Ichabod's late wife, KATRINA (Katia Winter, “Dexter”), who is trapped in a mysterious netherworld. In his pursuit to save her, Ichabod uncovers secrets about her, leaving him with countless questions.

Not everyone believes Ichabod's tales of 1776 and supernatural evils, especially the new head of Abbie's police precinct, Captain FRANK IRVING (Orlando Jones, “The Chicago 8,” “Drumline”). When faced with bizarre events he can't explain, Capt. Irving reluctantly turns to Ichabod and Abbie to investigate.

Ichabod's extensive first-hand knowledge of our country's hidden history, coupled with Abbie's superior profiling and modern threat assessment skills, make them a formidable duo. The complex pasts of the pair, from Ichabod's inclusion in the powerful and secretive Freemasons Society to Abbie's childhood visions, will help them solve the intricate puzzles of Sleepy Hollow in order to protect its – and the world's – future. As history repeats itself, the oddly-linked pair will draw on the real stories and secrets this nation was founded on in their quest to stop an increasingly vicious cycle of evil.​

So who watched it? I have to admit, I liked it way better than I thought I would! It definitely has a Haven feel to it, even the same premise of the town cops having secret files on the strange events, but it is a darker tone.

I was surprised to see John Cho in the pilot and was hoping he'd be a regular; apparently not though. :( John Noble, everybody's favorite mad scientist from Fringe, will have a recurring role so that'll be interesting.

It is set to auto-record on the DVR, let's hope it continues with the same quality.

I haven't watched it yet but I DVR'd it and it does repeat tonight so I just might watch tonight and then if I like or missed something important rewatch it. Most likely I'm going to record the whole series. Preview looked really good. I like these types of shows anyway.

I haven't watched it yet but I DVR'd it and it does repeat tonight so I just might watch tonight and then if I like or missed something important rewatch it. Most likely I'm going to record the whole series. Preview looked really good. I like these types of shows anyway.
I caught the 2nd episode last night and so far I'm starting to dig it. Since you haven't seen it yet I won't talk about the plot elements (yet :P) but will say that if they keep the pace up then I'll keep watching.

It's also nice to see Orlando Jones doing a dramatic role and it looks like John Cho might be sticking around a bit longer yet as well.

Honestly, I did not care much for the first episode. I get the fact writers/producers/cast are trying to put a modern spin on the old tale, which I can accept for the most part. Plus, it looks like the Headless Horsemen is going to be just one piece of the "puzzle". That being said, when did the Headless Horsemen learn how to use an assault rifle or shotgun?! So, my wife and I were not sure about giving this show a second chance. Then we watched the second episode. Like the vibe a little more. The actor who plays Icabod Crane comes off as convincing enough. The actress, Nicole Beharie, is great as the deputy sheriff, Abbie Mills. (It doesn't hurt that she is completely gorgeous either, if you catch my drift.) Guess, we'll give it a little more time..... ;)

Plus, it looks like the Headless Horsemen is going to be just one piece of the "puzzle".
Yep, he is being presented as one of the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse. I actually think that will help sustain the series because instead of there just being a single bad guy there is instead an expanded amount of material to work with over more than one season.

That being said, when did the Headless Horsemen learn how to use an assault rifle or shotgun?!
Now that made me pause for thought as well. For those who have not seen the first episode yet, there is a scene where the Headless Horseman, awakened after a 250 year slumber and carrying an axe that he uses to chop off his victims heads, shows up carrying a semi-automatic weapon & a shotgun and is apparently well versed in how to use them. Huh? :cautious: I am hoping that was just some over excitement by the writers for the pilot episode and it will not become a thing where the bad guys are demonic Terminators.

The actress, Nicole Beharie, is great as the deputy sheriff, Abbie Mills. (It doesn't hurt that she is completely gorgeous either, if you catch my drift.)
And she has a sister! :D

... and it looks like the ratings so far have been pretty solid as Fox announced that the series has been picked up for a second season.

I caught the 2nd episode last night and so far I'm starting to dig it. Since you haven't seen it yet I won't talk about the plot elements (yet :P) but will say that if they keep the pace up then I'll keep watching.

It's also nice to see Orlando Jones doing a dramatic role and it looks like John Cho might be sticking around a bit longer yet as well.
I love Sleepy Hollow! I watched the first two episodes back to back. One to go, watching shortly. I like Orlando Jones in a dramatic role and he does well, I don't trust his character though. Not yet anyway. I like John Cho I just wish he wasn't playing a bad guy, he will get killed off, maybe. I love the actor that plays Ichabod Crane, I don't recognize him from anywhere else but he is so good in this role. I'm happy to see that Clancy Brown will be in the show still, even if he is a vision or dream.

... and it looks like the ratings so far have been pretty solid as Fox announced that the series has been picked up for a second season.
I just heard this and I'm thrilled. I have not been disappointed yet. Blacklist is another show I really like and I hope that they keep.

I just watched episode 3 and I loved it, best one so far. This show gets you hooked and keeps you hooked. Tom Mison is the perfect Ichabod Crane. I saw the movie Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp but felt his protrayal was kind of wimpy, I know or I think the character is supposed be kind if like a fraidy cat or something but Tom Mison shows that too, without seeming weak or wimpy.

I like Orlando Jones in a dramatic role and he does well, I don't trust his character though. Not yet anyway.
Yeah, something is there. My money is on him knowing a lot more about what is going on then and at some point he'll reveal his true role.
I like John Cho I just wish he wasn't playing a bad guy, he will get killed off, maybe.
Killed off... again. :P
I just watched episode 3 and I loved it, best one so far. This show gets you hooked and keeps you hooked. Tom Mison is the perfect Ichabod Crane. I saw the movie Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp but felt his protrayal was kind of wimpy, I know or I think the character is supposed be kind if like a fraidy cat or something but Tom Mison shows that too, without seeming weak or wimpy.
Crane being a bit wimpy dates back to the original story where he was a teacher afraid of anything that might go bump in the night. Depp's character was, if I remember right, a detective assigned to investigate the town but he also was a bit on the nervous side. I like the new Crane being presented as a sort-of 18th century secret agent that is brave but weary.
I just heard this and I'm thrilled. I have not been disappointed yet. Blacklist is another show I really like and I hope that they keep.
Blacklist with Spader is growing on me. My early guess is he is either her father or is tied to her father somehow (maybe his brother or some type of close friend). So far the episodes have caught my attention enough to keep watching.

Yeah, something is there. My money is on him knowing a lot more about what is going on then and at some point he'll reveal his true role.
Killed off... again. :P

Crane being a bit wimpy dates back to the original story where he was a teacher afraid of anything that might go bump in the night. Depp's character was, if I remember right, a detective assigned to investigate the town but he also was a bit on the nervous side. I like the new Crane being presented as a sort-of 18th century secret agent that is brave but weary.
Blacklist with Spader is growing on me. My early guess is he is either her father or is tied to her father somehow (maybe his brother or some type of close friend). So far the episodes have caught my attention enough to keep watching.
I admit I like Orlando Jones' character, starting to really like him but still not sure how loyal he will be to Abbey and Crane. I did see Johnny Depps' take on Crane and didn't care for it. I love Tom Mison playing Crane, he owns it and makes Crane cool. Still watching The Blacklist? It is so good and I love Red aka Spader.

I admit I like Orlando Jones' character, starting to really like him but still not sure how loyal he will be to Abbey and Crane.
It'll be interesting to see where the new season picks up his character from. With the season finale he showed that he'll do anything to protect his daughter so whether he is as loyal to the fight that Abbey & Crane are fighting is yet to be seen.

The 'Sin Eater' threw me off a bit in the finale; I was not expecting that at all.

Still watching The Blacklist? It is so good and I love Red aka Spader.
I am and must admit, it became one of my 'guilty pleasure' TV shows. Yeah, it has a few issues but Spader is playing his character with such gusto that it is worth watching for his screen time alone. The bit with the husband is a bit meandering to the plot so hopefully that'll be addressed soon.

Sleepy Hallow has been renewed for a second season. :cool:
That is awesome possum!! Still have to wait until September I think. Then there is only 13 episodes instead of the norm. 22 or 23 episodes. Not that I'm complaining, it just means a short season of this show.

That is awesome possum!! Still have to wait until September I think. Then there is only 13 episodes instead of the norm. 22 or 23 episodes. Not that I'm complaining, it just means a short season of this show.
Only a 13 episode short season? That's a bit disappointing; I thought it was successful enough that FOX would have ordered a full season. :(

I guess the positive way of looking at it is that the short episode season can be viewed as a limited series instead so bigger budgets & production can go into each episode instead of being spread out over 22 episodes.

Only a 13 episode short season? That's a bit disappointing; I thought it was successful enough that FOX would have ordered a full season. :(

I guess the positive way of looking at it is that the short episode season can be viewed as a limited series instead so bigger budgets & production can go into each episode instead of being spread out over 22 episodes.
That is exactly right about it feeling like a limited series. That's what the producers and directors wanted. I don't mind the wait I just wish I had DVR'd the series before it ended. I do hope they repeat the series before the start of the second for those who need to catch up and might have missed the series or just to see things missed in the show the first time around.

That is exactly right about it feeling like a limited series. That's what the producers and directors wanted. I don't mind the wait I just wish I had DVR'd the series before it ended. I do hope they repeat the series before the start of the second for those who need to catch up and might have missed the series or just to see things missed in the show the first time around.
I just checked Hulu and Netflix; Hulu only has 8 episodes and Netflix only has DVD, no streaming.

My guess is they'll do a marathon running before the new season starts. If they do I'll likely try to catch it as well just to brush up on my background details before watching the new episodes.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database