writers behind "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" was behind it. I believe Brad
Johnson was cast as John Robinson and Jayne Brook was Maureen. There was
no Dr. Smith and Penny was only 3 or 4 years old. The WB planned it for
this season but decided it was too expensive (They had also planned a
"Dark Shadows" revival). They haven't aired the pilot yet. It was
supposed to be much more serious that the original series (it would
almost have to be)

"Richard B" <RCBISCH@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:29686-41EC0B5B-194@storefull-3158.bay.webtv.net...
| The WB shot a pilot last year for a new "Lost in Space". One of the
| writers behind "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" was behind it. I believe Brad
| Johnson was cast as John Robinson and Jayne Brook was Maureen. There was
| no Dr. Smith and Penny was only 3 or 4 years old. The WB planned it for
| this season but decided it was too expensive (They had also planned a
| "Dark Shadows" revival). They haven't aired the pilot yet. It was
| supposed to be much more serious that the original series (it would
| almost have to be)

Honestly I'd prefer a sinister comedy variation of "Dark Shadows" kind
of in the mindset of "Soap" mixed with the "Addams Family".

Plenty of the original plotlines were hilarious, they just need a bit of
sarcasm and punching up to make it a laugh riot. Add in elements of drama
and realistic tragedy and that would round it out for the "disinterested
channel surfers". "Dark Shadows" has a lot of raw comedy awaiting release
and refinement.

From alt.tv.scifi.channel

The Robinsons: Lost in Space (2004)
In the year 2082, the Earth was invaded by aliens after it was long determine that existence of extra terrestrials was long thought to be science fiction. Major cities crumbled from the destruction of the beings from beyond the stars. The invasion came to a halt when Earth's own armed forces led by Col. John Robinson fought off the invaders and thus Earth won the battle which came to be known as "Robinson's Raid". 15 years have passed by and John Robinson attends a ceremony for his retirement from his services in defending the Earth from alien threat. It was an honoring ceremony, except John's kids aren't that excited about it because John hardly spent that much time with them. After moving from several different homes due to John's line of work created a gap in between his kids and his occupation. This dysfunctional family is one of the fewest families chosen to be part of the space program that is heading for a planet called Nova which will become occupied with a new farming colony....

Originally produced as a possible mid-season replacement on the WB network for the 2004/2005 television season, it was pulled ... from the schedule when producer/writer Doug Petrie (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) quit over creative differences. What is left is a great one-shot piece of television history directed with theatrical quality by Hong Kong action director, John Woo. Set in the year 2097 after Earth's first intergalactic war, the story follows Col. John Robinson and Dr, Maureen Robinson as they move their family to the farming colony of Nova. When the colony ship is attacked by aliens, the Robinson are the only family to escape the ship's destruction, but only after losing one of the family.

Wow, either I don't remember this one at all or blocked it out of my memory! :eek:

I see it was done by the WB... unfortunately it seems to be another of the WB's "teenage angst" type shows and less about being lost in space. :(

Back