A Missing Link

This is the first one in this series... so...

Title: A Missing Link
Summary: Prequel to “Unfaithful”

“I do.” Words that now meant nothing to her.

They had been happy. They were settled into their bliss, not seeing the world fly by around them. After the wedding, they forgot about their worries and problems and just lived for themselves. All they wanted was to be together forever.

They spent almost everyday with each other; talking, cuddling, kissing, making love. All of their friends looked up to them as the perfect couple. People always said they would stay together forever, and she had felt the same until two weeks ago. It all started at her yearly doctors appointment.

***​

“What?” Sydney asked in utter disbelief. She couldn’t have heard correctly, it wasn’t true. She refused to believe it.

“You had a miscarriage, I’m sorry.” The doctor said calmly. It made Sydney sick to think that she had a baby, Vaughn’s baby, inside of her and she didn’t know it.

“How… I mean, why?” A quiet sob escaped her lips and she covered her mouth with her hand.

“We don’t know…” The doctor looked at the chart in his hands and handed it to Sydney to look at.

“You don’t know!” Sydney yelled, contorting her sadness into rage. “You’re a frackin doctor!” She picked up the chart as the frightened doctor hurried out of the room. She looked through the papers, having no idea what they said, blinded by her tears. She threw the chart across the room, but the loud clatter didn’t satisfy her pain.

It wouldn’t matter anyway. She had lost a baby. Vaughn’s baby. She didn’t even know she was pregnant. But would it matter now?

Vaughn would hate her for it. He would leave her. He would blame her for being so careless. It was all her fault and she felt the world come crashing down around her.

***​

“Hey sweetie, I’m home.” Michael called as he put down his briefcase and walked into the house. He found her in the kitchen, quietly chopping carrots for a salad. “Hey baby.” He cooed, placing his hands on her hips and standing behind her. He felt her stiffen from his touch and his forehead wrinkled.

She stayed quiet, not saying anything until he finally asked her, “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” She said bitterly. “Nothing at all.”

“Syd, what’s the matter?” He questioned, giving her a concerned look, trying to let her know he was there for her.

“I. Said. Nothing.” She said again and focused on chopping, cutting too fast. He grabbed her hand holding the knife before she got close to her fingertips.

“Baby, whatever it is, I’ll make it better.” He promised.

What the hell can he do? She thought bitterly, holding her tongue. He started kissing her shoulder, an act that normally could have soothed her anger and made her talk, but not tonight. Tonight she wasn’t in the mood for anything. She was just numb.

“Vaughn…” She whispered, holding back tears.

“Yes?” He stopped kissing her shoulder and looked up at her face.

“Not tonight, ok?”

***​

“Sydney, what’s wrong with you lately?” Her boss Julian asked as he walked into her office. She had been slacking off during work and he came to investigate.

“Nothing.” She answered, blankly staring at her monitor.

“Sydney…” He warned. “You know you can talk to me. I won’t tell anyone.” He smiled reassuringly at her.

“No, it’s too hard.” She whispered, tears coming to her eyes. Julian walked closer to her and put a hand on her shoulder, letting her know he would be there for her.

“Come on, you can trust me.” He lured, giving her an understanding look.

“Well, a few weeks ago, I went to the doctors and… and…” She paused, tears spilling down her cheeks. “He told me that I had been pregnant and… and I lost the baby.” She whispered, feeling like it was the worst thing in the world to say it out loud. Somehow, it was easier to open up to a stranger. Maybe it would help her open up to Michael.

“Oh, Sydney. I’m so sorry.” He said, seeming genuinely concerned. He tried to wipe away some of her tears with his thumbs and pulled her into a hug. She hugged him back tightly and cried on his shoulder for a few minutes. She finally pulled back and looked into his eyes, those sparkling blue eyes that could make you do anything.

“Thanks.” She said, trying to compose herself. That was the first time she had cried, and it felt so good. It was like a tiny piece of the pain was leaving her.

He leaned in slowly and touched his lips to hers, gently at first, then trying to deepen the kiss. She resisted a little at first, but gave in to the comfort of him. He seemed to understand her. He wouldn’t hurt her. He wasn’t Michael and that’s exactly what she needed, or so she thought.

Julian began to intensify the kiss, his passion becoming greater. Sydney tried again to pull back, but she couldn’t escape his grasp. She was afraid, but then she felt the urge to give in. She and Michael hadn’t been close in so long and her body betrayed her. She held him closer, and responded by unbuttoning his shirt.

***​

She went home that day in a daze. She couldn’t form a coherent sentence if she tried. All she could think of was ‘why?’ ‘why did I cheat on my husband?’ ‘what’s wrong with me?’

Julian was different than Michael, he cared. He was persistent. He wouldn’t take no for an answer. Michael just sat back and let her destroy herself, from the inside out. Julian made her open up to him, he made her confront her problem and stayed with her when she cried.

It was the only time she cried. Only when Julian was there.

***​

Sydney sat on the couch, watching TV. When Michael got home, he placed his hands on her shoulders in greeting and, seeing how tense she was, started to give her a back massage. She remembered a time when she would melt under his fingers, but now she just tried not to. She knew how well her body was at staying in check. She couldn’t be with Michael the same day she cheated on him. It wasn’t right. The whole situation wasn’t right.

Michael moved around the couch and sat next to her, commanding her to lie down. After little resistance, she obeyed and allowed him to continue. “Geesh, Syd. Your so tense.” He commented. She stayed quiet. She rolled over to look at him and he thought he was going to kiss him, so he leaned his head down to hers and kissed her. She pulled back quickly, scaring him.

“What Syd?” He asked, she had pulled away like he had stung her. It wasn’t like her at all and it frightened him.

“Get away from me.” She whispered, curling into a ball as far away from him as the couch would allow.

“Sydney…” He reached out to touch her and she slapped his hand away.

“I said, get away!” He jumped off the couch, startled and slowly moved away. She was so hard to read these days, he couldn’t tell what she was thinking anymore.

She knew she couldn’t be near him, it would devastate him if he found out about Julian. It was hard enough knowing she had killed their child.

***​

So, she stayed away. As hard as it was, she stayed away. Michael would come home, and she would ignore him. It was easier than facing him with her problems. She knew that he knew something was wrong, he just didn’t know what.

***​

She cheated on her husband.

(Repeatedly)

She lied to him.

(All the Time)

She lost his child.

(She didn’t even know about)

She hated herself.

It was hard lying to Michael, but the ugly truth was worth being hidden.

{Fin}

Check out Unfaithful Which is the sequel to this. :lol: :lol:

WOW... That was great... Although I am still mighty pissed at Syd, and don't even get me started on Julian!!! :( At least that explains why she did what she did... Awesome story!!

lol i did'nt even read the other one. ima start now though. if your not done then add me 2 your pm list on the other story. better yet u can add me to (if you have one) your master pm list where u pm ppl for all your stories. thanks and great job.

That was awesome!!
He wouldn't hate her for the baby!! Why would she cheat!!
UGH Julian!!!
If there is a sequel to unfaithful, love to read it!
Awesome story!!

Wow...i don't know whether to feel sorry for Syd, or if i'm relly mad at her!!!
The emotions are brilliantly describles!
Loved it!
Thanks for the PM!

~lil~

Back