Cast No Shadow S/V

Chapter 84: Pillow Talk

“Talking to the songbird yesterday / Flew me to a past not far away
She’s a little pirate in my mind / Singing songs of love to pass the time
Gonna write a song so she can see / Give her all the love she gives to me
Talk of better days that have yet to come / Never felt this love from anyone
She’s not anyone
A man can never dream these kinds of things / Especially when she came and spread her wings
Whispered in my ear the things I’d like / Then she flew away into the night
Gonna write a song so she can see / Give her all the love she gives to me
Talk of better days that have yet to come / Never felt this love from anyone
She’s not anyone” – “Songbird” – Oasis

”Whenever I'm weary from the battles that rage in my head / You make sense of madness when my sanity hangs by a thread / I lose my way but still you seem to understand / Now and forever I will be your man.
Sometimes I just hold you / Too caught up in me to see / I'm holding a fortune that heaven has given to me / I'll try to show you each and every way I can / Now and forever I will be your man
Now I can rest my worries and always be sure / That I won't be alone anymore / If I'd only known you were there all the time / All this time
Until the day the ocean doesn't touch the sand / Now and forever I will be your man / Now and forever I will be your man” – “Now and Forever” – Richard Marx

“Give me a reason why I’m feeling so blue / Every time I close my eyes all I see is you
Give me a reason why I can’t feel my heart / Every time you leave my side I just fall apart
And when you’re fast asleep I wonder where you go / Can you tell me I wanna know
Because I miss you / And this is all I wanna say / I guess I miss you beautiful
These three words have said it all / You know I miss you / I think about you when you’re gone
I guess I miss you nothing’s wrong / I don’t mean to carry on
But give me a reason why I can’t concentrate / The world is turning upside down, spinning round and round
Now give me a reason / why I now understand the beauty and simplicity of everything surrounding me
You got a way of spreading magic everywhere / Anywhere I go, I know you’re always there
It sounds ridiculous but when you leave a room / There’s a part of me that just wants to follow you too
Because I miss you and this is all I wanna say / I guess I miss you beautiful
These three words have said it all / You know I miss you / I think about you when you’re gone
It’s such a hard life and most of the time / I’m just surviving
That’s why I want you to know / In a world where sincerity has lost it’s meaning
You fill my world with so much hope
And I miss you / This is all I wanna say / I guess I miss you beautiful
You know I miss you and this is all I wanna say / I guess I miss you beautiful
These three words have said it all / You know I miss you and this is all I wanna do
I know it doesn’t sound too cool but maybe I’m in love with you
You know I miss you and this is all I wanna say / I guess I miss you nothing’s wrong / I don’t mean to carry on
I just miss you
Yeah, it’s true I miss you baby and when you’re walking out the door I know / I miss you
You make me wanna ask for more / I just miss you” – “I Miss You” – Darren Hayes

“I might need you to hold me tonight
I might need you to say it’s alright
I might need you to make the first stand
Because tonight I’m finding it hard to be your man” – “Hold On” – Savage Garden

Sydney woke in the middle of the night, probably to reassure herself that Vaughn was still ok.
She yawned and looked down at his form lying atop her. His breathing was steady, and he didn’t seem to be in any discomfort.

She closed her eyes again, tightening her grip on him. He moved slightly, mumbling and groaning quietly.

She opened her eyes again, concerned, but he settled again.

She was about to close her eyes again when she heard a low whisper say, “Syd?” She wouldn’t have heard it if she’d been sleeping.

“Yeah?” she asked.

He seemed startled that she’d actually heard him. He jerked slightly, letting out a painful moan, and Sydney gripped him even tighter.

“Easy honey…just try to relax…” she waited until he seemed to calm, “Are you ok?”

”Yeah…”

”What did you need?” she asked.

“I don’t know…”

She chuckled, “You didn’t think I was going to be awake did you?”

She could feel him smile, “No…why were you? Am I keeping you awake?”

”No honey, I just woke up for a second…good timing though it seems…”

He was silent again.

“Vaughn?”

”Hmm?”

”Did you need to talk about something?”

”Not really…I guess I just wanted to make sure you were still there…”

”Can’t you feel me?”

”Yeah, I can feel you…”

She smiled, thinking of a child who was trying to be brave, but checked back every few minutes to see that mommy was still there.

She didn’t press him to say anything else.

“I’m sorry I blew up at you before…”

”I’m sorry too…”

”I had no right to talk to you like that…you’re always here with me…I’m sorry…”

”No, Vaughn…I didn’t handle that well at all. You have to be able to get angry if that’s what you need to feel…I’m sorry, I just…misinterpreted…Will said I was stupid,” she said chuckling.

“You weren’t…I was…”

”No,” Sydney said firmly, “You have every right to feel however you want. I need to be able to handle that…if you feel angry…you need to express it. I just can’t take it personally…”

”I don’t want to take my anger out on you Syd,” he said burrowing his head into her chest and sniffling.

”Shh…Vaughn…don’t worry about it…you weren’t yelling at me…and you’re gonna get frustrated. I’m surprised it took this long actually, I just didn’t…I don’t think either one of us were prepared for it…but now, if it happens again, I won’t storm out in a huff, I’ll stay and we can talk about it, ok?”

”I’ll try to control myself…” he said smiling.

”No, you say what you need to…ok? Don’t let it bottle up…when you feel frustrated, tell me…k?”

”Yeah…” he sighed.

She smiled, “Was that all that was bothering you?”

”Pretty much…I’m still scared about tomorrow…”

”It’ll be ok…don’t worry about it…she’ll be good to you…”

”Mmm…”

They were silent for a few minutes.

Sydney asked, “You feel safe tonight?”

He was quiet, not really punching in, “Uh…yeah…” but then he stopped, lifting his head.

He couldn’t hold it there very long, it strained his back and other muscles, and he couldn’t support himself on one arm for very long, but he looked at her long enough to get her drift.

She smiled, touching his face, “Well?” she asked.

He nodded, but added, dropping his head, “I…I don’t think I can Sydney…I’m not…I…”

She silenced him with a finger to his lips, “That’s not what I meant…”

She wriggled beneath him, managing to squirm her way out of her pajama bottoms and underwear. She reached down and pulled his c*** out of the opening in his own pajamas. His head dropped back to her chest and his eyes closed. He let her position him at her folds and then she tilted her hips, grabbing him under his arms and pulling him upwards until he was buried inside her.

She stopped then, finding a spot for him that would be comfortable, but so he could still stay inside her.

He wanted nothing more than to start thrusting in her, but he was too tired and the previous events of the evening had taxed his energy to the point that he was just content to be able to be inside her.

She moved her legs to the back of his thighs, and pulled him closer, sending him deeper inside her, eliciting a moan of pleasure from him. He sighed contentedly.

She smiled, “Ok?” she asked.

He nodded his head in answer, not able to find the words.

“Just relax honey…go to sleep, ok?” she whispered softly into his ear.

He nodded again, drifting off. She smiled when she heard his slow, deep, sleep breathing, and then allowed herself to drift off too.

~ ~ ~ ~

She was in a state of semi-sleep, not awake, but not yet sleeping deeply when she heard him say her name.

Quietly again, he said, “Syd?”

She came out of her semi-sleep, thinking something might be wrong, “Vaughn? What is it honey? Are you ok?”

He nodded, and lifted his head, looking up at her.

She cupped his cheeks, pulling him inside her further.

He moaned, “Mmm…Syd…”

”Yeah?”

“I need to come…”

She smiled, “You do?”

He nodded again.

“Sure baby, go ahead…” she smiled sweetly and gripped him tightly, fluttering her muscles on his c***, which was fully engorged inside her. He had been hard before, but now he was rock hard.

She watched him while he came, loving the expressions that crossed his face when he found release. She coaxed him through, eliciting moans of pleasure and relief.

When he was done, she smiled at him, waiting for him to comment.

He looked up at her sheepishly, “Sorry…”

She shushed him, “Hey…don’t apologize…anytime, I told you that before…anytime honey…you don’t have to ask and you don’t need to explain…”

He smiled, still looking embarrassed; “Do you want to know why?”

”Why you came?”

He nodded.

”Sure…”

He dropped his head back down to her chest, tired of holding his head up, “I was dreaming about you…”

She smiled, running her hands through his hair, “You were?”

She felt him nod, “What were you dreaming?”

”We were walking on the beach…holding hands and fooling around in the water, splashing…”

”Yeah…”

”And then we were making love in the sand…”

She smiled, “That sounds nice…”

”It was…it was so real…it was like I could feel myself in you…but then I woke up and realized I was…”

She smiled, “So…it wasn’t just my tender charms?”

”Well…that too…but it was just like the dream became real…”

”I’m glad it was a nice dream Vaughn.”

”Me too…thanks…”

”You’re very welcome…”

”But you didn’t–“ he started.

“Shh…that was for you…don’t worry about me.”

”But Syd–“ he protested.

She silenced him again, “Michael…that was for you…”

He nodded, settling himself back down to go to sleep.

“Can I ask you something?” she asked.

“Sure.”

”What would you have done had I not been awake?” she said smiling coolly.

“I…I don’t know…”

”Would you have come?”

”No, I wouldn’t just do that…”

She smiled, “Well…you could have…ok? Or you wake me up…got it?”

”Yeah,” he said, and she could feel his smile.

“I hope you have more dreams like that one Vaughn…that was definitely something nice to wake up to…”

He chuckled, “I hope I do too…”

She tightened her grip on him and ran her other hand absently through his hair. Her legs stayed intertwined with his, locked in the lover’s embrace.

Ok, I must say...I don't know why...but I really like this scene. I mean it's sexual...but it's not sex...and I just thought it was like the sweetest thing after I wrote it...so...there's my author's note...

Chapter 85: Morning Dawns

“My empty water dish mocks me.” – Bob the Dog

“Early morning cheerfulness can be extremely obnoxious.” – William Feather

“I have always felt that the moment when first you wake up in the morning is the most wonderful of the twenty-four hours.” – Monica Baldwin

“The afternoon knows what the morning never suspected.” – Cousin Woodman

“My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.” – Cary Grant

“We sleep, but the loom of life never stops, and the pattern which was weaving when the sun went down is weaving when it comes up in the morning.” – Henry Ward Beecher

Sydney woke Friday morning to hear a strange scratching on the bedroom door.

She looked down on her chest to see Vaughn resting comfortably, still in a deep sleep.

The scratching wasn’t particularly loud, but it was annoying enough that it might soon wake Vaughn. He’d had an exhausting day and night, and she wanted him to be able to sleep as long as possible. He had another long day ahead of him; he needed to be rested.

She also realized that checking out the noise would be sleep suicide, because she’d have to move Vaughn off of her and that would be impossible to do without waking him. Plus, even if she could worm her way out from underneath him, she’d have to position him so the infected would wasn’t pressured, and well…that just wasn’t going to happen with him sleeping.

She sighed trying to come up with some way of making the noise stop, but she came up with nothing.

She just waited, hoping it would stop…but it didn’t. It ceased momentarily, but started up again several minutes later.

Vaughn hadn’t stirred the whole time, and she held out hope that maybe he would just sleep through it.

That’s when she heard the whining start…Donovan…now she knew…it made sense then…

felgercarb, she thought to herself.

After several more minutes of annoying whining, Vaughn stirred atop her.

He groggily moved his head, “Syd?”

”Yeah, sweetie, right here…” she said.

“Mmm…what’s that…is that Donovan?” he asked.

“Yeah…I think so…listen, I’m going to move you on your back…you stay here and rest, and I’ll go take care of the dog…you get some more sleep, k?”

He nodded sleepily, and she wondered if he was really registering any of this.

He was still inside her and that actually made it easy for her to roll them. She didn’t really have to support his weight; she just rolled them both, until she was on top.

He let out a low moan as his back hit the bed, but he seemed to settle into the pillow again.
She dislodged herself from him and gently got off the bed, replacing the covers around him and throwing her robe on.

She padded over to the door and opened it to see a very depressed dog looking at her.

He wore an expression of ‘it’s about time!’ and trotted off to where his water and food dishes were, looking back to make sure that she was following.

Both of the dishes were empty and he whined, cocking his head to the side and staring up at her.
She smiled, “Sorry boy…Will’s really good about taking you for walks and stuff, but not so good on the water and food…”

She went over to where they kept the food and then filled the dish, Donovan trailing with her, wagging his tail happily now that someone was attending to him.

She filled the water too and Donovan eagerly started lapping at it.

“Sorry about that Donovan,” she said, patting his head.

He looked like he was in dog heaven as he went back and forth between the water and the food.
Sydney went back to the kitchen and grabbed a few dog biscuits too, and then dropped them in his dish.

He barked softly at her, even happier as he devoured those.

She stood watching him for a few minutes until he had his fill and he trotted over to where she stood.

“Come on, boy,” she said and he followed her.

She opened the patio door and he ran out into the yard, immediately spotting a squirrel and chasing after it, barking like nuts.

Sydney laughed quietly and then went back into the kitchen and made some coffee. She looked at the clock; it was about 7:00 in the morning.

She peeked into the bedroom, finding Vaughn still sleeping restfully.

She smiled and grabbed some clothes, and then went into the bathroom, and showered.
She came out, awake and refreshed. She checked on Vaughn again as she combed her hair, and he was still asleep. She dressed and then went out into the kitchen again; it was now 7:45.

Will came flying out of Francie’s bedroom, dressed, but slightly disheveled.

“Will?” Sydney said when he flew past.

He came back, “Oh, hey Syd…didn’t think you’d be up this early…” he grabbed his jacket from the closet and came back, “I’d love to stay and chat…but I’m gonna be late…I sort of overslept…”

”Did Fran leave already?”

“Yeah…she left REALLY early…something about a special catering job…I really gotta go,” he said, heading for the door, “I’ll talk to you later, good luck today…”

She smiled at his remembering, “Ok, Will, thanks…see ya…”

With a quiet thud, the front door closed as he exited.

~ ~ ~ ~

Sydney spent a while reading the morning paper and enjoying her coffee. She glanced at the clock again and it was 8:15. Sydney went to the bedroom, checking on Vaughn. He was still sleeping, but she entered further just to make sure he was breathing all right. She was relived to find that his breath was even and steady, his chest rising and falling normally. She watched him for a few more minutes and then walked out again; happy he was sleeping soundly.

~ ~ ~ ~

It was almost 9:30 before she heard the familiar sounds of his stirring.

She entered the room before he was fully awake and sat down beside him on the bed.

He turned his head towards her, “I’m on my back…” he said yawning, “not inside you…why?”

She smiled, “Donovan got a little antsy REALLY early this morning. I was afraid he’d wake you up so I was forced to dislodge you,” she replied kissing him.

“Humpf…well…I’m gonna have to have a talk with him…don’t like that whole scenario…”

She smiled, “Sorry…” she let him wake more fully before saying, “You know…I hate to further ruin your parade, but we have to do exercises today…and I have to change the bandages…and you should eat…and then,” she said wincing slightly, “Barnett is coming over…remember?”

”Yeah, how could I forget?”

”I know…let’s take it a step at a time.”

”Well, you seem to have the whole day planned,” he said smiling.

“Someone’s got to…if I left it up to you, we’d never get out of bed.”

”And that would be bad why?” he asked, raising his eyebrows.

She chuckled, “Ok…what do you want to do first; eat, bandages, or exercises?”

”Eat…I’m starving…” he added, “Maybe you could come up with some food we could share like yesterday…”

She smiled, “Mmm…not for breakfast…I’m sorry honey, but we can’t this morning…maybe later today…after…well after she’s gone…we really don’t have time now…”

He pouted.

“But I’ll make you whatever you want for breakfast.”

”Um…eggs and bacon?”

”Sure,” she said rising from the bed.

“Syd?” he said when she was just outside the room.

She poked her head back in, “Yeah?”

”I love you…”

She smiled, coming back in the room and retaking her spot on the bed. She cupped his face and kissed him, “I love you too…”

Then she got up again and went to make him his breakfast.

~ ~ ~ ~

She brought the tray in with his breakfast and pain pills on it and he looked at the tray confused, “Where’s your breakfast?” he asked.

“I already ate sweetie…”

”Oh.”

”You slept kinda late…I was up early…so I ate earlier…”

”Ok.”

He set to eating the breakfast, “This bacon is really good,” he said.

She smiled, “Thanks…it’s kind of a specialty of mine.”

”Bacon?” he asked smiling.

“Yeah…” she said proudly.

“Good…I like bacon…”

The rest of the breakfast passed without much ceremony, both Sydney and Vaughn just enjoying the quiet morning with no friends, no dogs, no doctors popping in and out.

~ ~ ~ ~

After breakfast, Sydney cleared away the tray and reentered the room, “So…exercise or bandages?”

”We better do exercises first…that way we won’t mess up the bandages after you’ve redone them.”

”Good plan,” Sydney said.

She sat him up and leaned him against the pillow, full frame. She would have positioned him like she had last night, but she figured he was going to need all the leverage he could for the exercises.

She took off his shirt and removed the rib wrap, and they did the deep breathing routine.
Once finished with that, she replaced the wrap and laid him down again in a more reclined manner for the exercises. She sat on his legs and he seemed to be able to sit up with more ease than he’d had in the past few weeks. He made it through eight crunches, two more than were actually “required” and she was very proud of him. They next moved to do the standing exercises and he did that rather successfully as well. He’d wavered slightly, but much less than in the past as well.

After they had done the crunches and the standing, Sydney helped Vaughn sit back in bed and then she moved to his ankle.

“How’s your ankle feel?” she asked, taking it in her hands.

“Not too bad.”

”Can you rotate for me?”

He moved his ankle in several circular patters, showing her the range of movement.

“When we stood up, did it hurt?”

”It gets stiff, but it didn’t hurt…it gets sore sometimes, but I can tell it’s getting better.”

”Better enough that we could take the wrap off?”

”I don’t walk on it too much, I would think we could take it off…”

”Ok, we’ll try it…if it starts to hurt though, you let me know, and we’ll put it back on…”

”Got it.”

She smiled as she started unwrapping the ankle, being very gentle with the still injured part.
She set it gently on the bed, “Does it hurt now? Because I’m sure the pressure of the wrap keeps it from hurting…”

”Well, it throbs sometimes, but right now it’s good…”

”Ok…”

She moved back to sit on the bed, “Bandages?”

”Yeah…ok…” he said resignedly.

She smiled knowingly and moved to get the materials for changing his bandages.
She removed the wrap again and did the ones on the front first, checking the one with the tape irritation especially, and was pleased to find that it seemed to be getting better.
She changed the remaining bandages on his chest and then sat him up to do the ones on his back.
She changed all the small burn ones, applying the burn cream before replacing the bandages per her usual routine.
She changed the larger ones then, checking for infection, but they all seemed to be healing normally.

Last was the infected wound. He’d been lying on his back for a few hours, and she was sure that it was going to be a painful removal.

She moved away to get the washcloth and came back to remove the bandage. She got a corner of the tape up and gently pried some more off with the tape. She got about half way through the first side of tape and his back stiffened. He sat up straight and let out a groan of pain. She stopped immediately, moving to support him if he needed to lean back, but after a few seconds, he relaxed and went back to his bent posture, running his hand through his hair.

“Are you ok?” she asked softly.

He nodded.

“I’m sorry Vaughn,” she added.

“S’not your fault,” he said quietly.

She didn’t know how to respond, so she continued with the tape, prying the rest of the side off.
He jerked away when the tape was off. Unfortunately, she was still holding onto the bandage when he jerked, and what resulted was the bandage being moved off of the wound quickly.

“Ahh!” Vaughn screamed.

Sydney let go immediately, but it was too late. She held the bandage in her hand.

She dropped it on the nightstand, “Oh God Vaughn! Are you ok? I’m so sorry…” she said moving to hold his shoulders from behind, but carefully avoiding the wound.

He was still in too much shock and pain to answer her, so she took a minute to survey the wound.
The bandage had been sticking to the wound of course, and when it was moved that quickly, it took some of the scab that was forming with it. Now on top of the infection, the wound was bleeding as well.

“Vaughn…I’m sorry…but I have to do something…it’s bleeding…” She didn’t wait for an answer from him. She took the washcloth and placed it over the wound, making him straighten again.

“Sorry…I should have warned you I was gonna do that…”

He was silent for the most part, except for small groans, and his breathing had pitched, the breaths coming out in small gasps as he tried to recover from the pain of the wound.
She checked under the cloth occasionally, looking for any sign of the bleeding to stop, but it seemed as though it wasn’t going to for a while. While her one hand held the cloth in place, the other rubbed up and down his back, over the other bandages, trying to help calm him.

Once his breathing had stabilized, she her him mumble, “…ah f***…” as he took a deep breath.

“Vaughn?” she asked in a meek voice.

“Mmm…” he replied, eyes closed.

“I’m sorry.”

”For what?” he asked seriously.

”Well…I kinda ripped the bandage off…causing bleeding for one…and pain for another…”

”You didn’t do anything…I moved…not your fault…” he said and she could hear the strain in his voice.

She leaned her body against his back, trapping the cloth between them, and kissed his neck.
She brought her arms around to place them on his chest and tightened her grip, leaning back on the bed, with him in her arms.

She traced her hand through his hair once they were laying back.
She let him rest for a while, just rubbing her hands on any part of his chest that she happened to come in contact with.

He let out a tired sigh.

“What…” she asked.

“Nothing…I’m just getting tired of all of this…you shouldn’t have to worry about all this s***…you shouldn’t have to worry about hurting me when you take a fricken bandage off…you shouldn’t even have to worry about bandages at all…”

”Vaughn…”

“You shouldn’t.”

”Well…we don’t have a choice now…”

”You have a choice…”

”I’m not having this conversation with you again…I’ve already made myself clear.”

He could tell by her tone that was the end of the conversation…

wow! first, i miust commend myself on my incredible determination because i've been sitting on my butt all day reading your fic from chapter 1 to its current chapter 85. i really don't know how i could have done it if it weren't for the fact that it is sooooo good. i absolutely love how much detail you go into and how much work you spend figuring out the medical jargon. please add me to your pm list and i hope you post soon. thanks! :D

Ok - I have been really busy lately - and I'm taking a break from writing as well. I apologize for not posting more in the last few months - but in reality, posting on this board was actually done by someone else and I never intended to run two boards. As of right now, there are over 200 chapters posted on sd-1 and at the moment, I can't keep up with two. In addition - if you don't want to wade through the copious threads over there, the fic up to chapter 204 (I believe) is posted over at Allies (but the site's been having issues lately). I'd love to have readers transfer to sd-1 and post there, because that's where I can read and respond to feedback, and I hate not being able to do so here. And I never had the PM list - because I didn't start the posting here, I just took over when VL went MIA.

So, I hope you won't be too disappointed, but I just can't keep up with two. I have a sheet with all the links to the sd-1 threads if you want it, PM me and I'll send it to you. You'd still have to wade through the individual threads for the chapters, but at least it'd help with the actual threads.

I appreciate all the readers who've taken the time to read, and I hope you continue to do so at another venue.

Thanks,
v88 🇪🇭

hey v88. i'm actually reading the fic at SD-1. i totally understand how busy you are. but what happened to Vaughn Lovah? Why isn't she posting the story here anymore?

Ok guys heres the deal Vertan88 does not come to Allalias anymore ... just thought I would let you know so for those of you how wanted the link to the next chapter her it is and you can keep going from there link to SD-1.net or you could always go to the Allies site ... if any of you guys have trouble you can always PM and I will help you the best I can ... Vertan88 has decided to discontinue posting update here at Allalias ... hope this helps ... l8er.

Back