In The Arms of Fate

In The Arms of Fate
Chapter 2

Michael Vaughn finished checking into his hotel room and made his way to the elevator. He checked the bags he was holding in his hands, making sure he hadn't lost any. It was important for him to have all his camera equipment with him. Of all his possessions, they were his
most prized.

Of course, all of his furniture was in storage somewhere. With him he carried one suitcase of clothes and several bags of camera equipment. The rest was stuffed into his tiny car, parked on some side street nearby.

When he found his room he slipped the key into the lock and opened it. He carefully set his equipment onto the bed and tossed his bag of clothes against the wall. He lay down on the bed and sighed, thinking bitterly of why he was even there. He had gotten kicked out of his
apartment. Kicked out. For what seemed to him the dumbest reason possible: his comings and goings from work at odd hours disturbed the other tenants.

He scoffed. Odd hours? He was a photographer, sometimes he had night shoots, and sometimes he had day shoots. Sometimes they varied in between. But he never thought he disturbed anyone. He was a twenty-year-old struggling to make ends meet, what else was he supposed to do with his life? Bottom line, he was kicked out and he needed to find a place to stay.

He decided to go for a swim; he needed to take his mind off everything. Sitting up, he reached for his clothing bag and dug around for his swimming trunks. He changed quickly and made his way down to the pool.

After he set his towel, watch, and shoes at a free chair he slipped into the refreshing water. According to a sign on the wall, the pool had been open for an hour yet there was no one else in the area. He shrugged and began swimming some laps. As he swam be thought about how odd it was that no one else was there. It was quite lonely, in fact.

He was one of those people who liked to observe others around him, which was partly why he loved photography. The other people seemed interesting to him, and he liked how each person had their own story and secrets. It made him feel like he wasn't alone, being surrounded by people, even if he didn't know them. But the truth was he didn't have time for relationships.

He couldn't help but think about this more deeply as he swam, especially with nobody around him. He thought about how he had no girlfriend and no place to live and nothing to do but work. Before he knew it he was racing through the water, waves bouncing off the pool walls and splashing into his face.

Suddenly he stopped himself and caught his breath, watching the waves calm down in front of him. Calm down. That was just what he needed to do. He hopped out of the pool, dried himself off, and sat down at a lounge chair to think for a moment. He wanted to go to the Louvre, which always helped him relax.

Sydney had just arrived at the hotel, and she walked up to the front desk and checked in.

"Excuse me, I'm here to check in."

"Name?"

"Sydney Bristow"

"Yes, here you are; undetermined stay, level three, room 147."

"Thank you."

"Do you need assistance with your bags, miss?"

"No, I think I can manage."

"Ok, enjoy your stay at the Four Seasons Paris and call down if you need anything at all."

"I will, thank you."

With that Sydney turned in search of her room. She finally made it to the third level but could not seem to locate her suite. As she was looking she took a wrong turn and ran straight into the pool. She looked to see if there was anyone around, but there wasn't. Then her eyes scanned the beautiful pool and its surroundings and she spotted only one person on a lounge chair. He looked peaceful so she decided to keep going in the search for her suite. She finally found it and entered her room looking at the wide open and beautifully designed suite.

She placed her bags on the bed and began to unpack. Once that was finished she decided she needed a long hot steamy shower to relax after the long flight. After she stepped out of the shower she changed into one of her favorite outfits, one her mother and her had picked out on one of many of their girls only lunch and shopping sprees which they loved so much.

Sydney wasn't sure what to do next. She felt so lost, like at any moment she would wake up and her family would be like it was before. But instead of cry like she would always do she went over to the nightstand and saw an ad for Louvre . She thought about how her mother had always said it was beautiful and that she always wanted to visit there. So Sydney gathered up her things and headed to the museum.

Meanwhile Vaughn decided, it was time to leave the pool and get on with what he had planned for rest of the day. Back in his room, he changed his clothes and grabbed his camera, as he always did before going anywhere. Then he headed out into the city.

He drifted at a leisurely pace through the crowded streets, passing by tourists snapping photos and French women casually conversing at a café. Finally, the glass pyramid of the Louvre came into view. He sighed happily at its magnificent sight, the part of his home of which he loved the most. When he reached the door, his slow walk had helped to calm him and prepared his mind for the soothing works of art to come.

Once inside he wandered around, first following the crowd around to all the main attractions. An amused smile tugged at his face as he observed the people around him. He spied an Italian couple arguing over a map of the museum, a group of school kids on a field trip, and many others excited by their first glimpse of the painted masterpieces. It always surprised him how so many people flocked to see the Mona Lisa. He thought it was too small a picture, though he found her smile mysterious.

He was tired of the noisy crowd of tourists and slipped away to the lesser-known works of art, what Vaughn really appreciated the best. There were also other people around who opted to escape the noise and bustle of the more popular pieces, so he could watch them for further entertainment.

He entered a small room that held several paintings, some abstract, some impressionist. The abstract ones gave him a headache, though he would stare at them with his forehead wrinkled in attempt to understand them anyway. He quickly moved on to the impressionist pictures.

Out of the corner of his eye he caught a movement, and he turned slowly to see a young woman enter the room. Suddenly he felt his pulse race. The woman was beautiful, with long brown hair and eyes of a matching color. However, the expression on her face made her seem troubled, and he could see sadness in her eyes. He could see that not only was she alone, but that she also felt alone. Just like he did.

He watched her for another moment, at first frozen by her beauty, then continued watching her by habit. He somehow felt instant concern over why she looked sad and felt alone. He felt an urge to talk to her. He built up his courage and made his way towards the beautiful woman.

Sydney tilted her head to the side as she gazed at a painting, her arms folded tightly across her chest as she fought back tears in her eyes. She had seen this painting before in pictures, and she knew it was one that her mother liked. She imagined her mother standing in the very same spot, staring at the very same painting.

That was when she heard someone walking behind her, and she turned to find a man heading straight for her.
End of Chapter 2

I just found your story and think that is great. It is so sad that Sydney lost both of her parents. Can I get a pm when you update please?

This is a good story...but like Riley said, their death seems kind of rushed and I think you need to expand on the characters emotions a little bit. Overall, it is a great start and can I get a pm??
Mariah :D

In the Arms of Fate
Chapter 3

Vaughn saw the young women turn around and their eyes locked. No
words were said. They stared at each other for a few moments, and
finally Vaughn got the nerve to speak.

"Uh… Hi."

Sydney was mesmerized by this guy's emerald green eyes. After he
finally spoke she was broken out of her trance.

"Hi."

"Do you mind if I join you?"

"No, go ahead. This one really is beautiful, I think it's one of my favorites."

Vaughn noticed that when she responded she looked as if she was off in
another world.

"I just moved to Paris, I needed a change in scenery. After the last
few months I just needed to get away."

"I can understand that, I really can. I moved here too because I
needed a change for the same reason."

"I just wish none of it had ever happened."

Sydney felt an instant connection with him, but she was not yet ready
to tell him everything that had happened to her parents. She couldn't
tell him anything; she hardly knew him. But still, she had a strange
feeling that she could trust him.

He eyed her as they moved on to the next painting. He wanted to ask
her what had happened, but he wasn't sure she would tell him. He
decided to talk about the painting. "I like the use of colors in
this."

Sydney agreed. "Yes, it makes it very serene."

"Oh, by the way, my name is Michael."

"I'm Sydney."

Her eyes never left the painting when he turned to her. He smiled at
her, though she couldn't see him, and then turned back to the
painting. "I've always wondered why the people in these paintings
have no faces. Just a blur instead." She didn't respond. "Sometimes
I feel like that. Like I'm just a blur." She tore her eyes away and
glanced at him. By just looking at her, he could tell she felt the
same way. "It's lonely that way."

"Yeah."

They sat and looked at the painting a few more minutes without
speaking. They made the decision to see the rest of the exhibit
together. As they went along Vaughn noticed that he felt comfortable
with Sydney and they hadn't even known one another a full day yet.

As the tour winded down Vaughn turned to Sydney.

"Sydney would you like to get a cup of coffee?"

"Sure sounds great."

They left the museum and headed to a quaint quiet coffee shop three
blocks away. Neither one spoke; they were looking up at the night stars. They sat down at a
table outside and ordered their drinks.

Vaughn was eager to break the silence. He wanted to know more about
Sydney, like why she had come to Paris, and what terrible event made
her leave home. But he wouldn't push her into; he would give her
time.

He casually began a conversation with her about other works of art at
the museum, and they chitchatted until long after they finished
drinking their coffees. A cozy silence settled between them and they
both looked up at the night sky. A nearly full moon shone brightly
overhead, with glistening stars speckled across the dark of the night.

Sydney gave a small sigh of content upon seeing the familiar Big
Dipper. After awhile she brought herself back to earth and glanced at
her surroundings. Most of the people that crowded the streets had
disappeared, leaving her almost alone with Michael. She wondered why
he had approached her of all the people in the Louvre.

"Michael, when you came up to me today, you said you were lonely. Why
did you tell me that?"

"When I saw you, there was something in your eyes that was sad, and
like you were all alone."

"I am."

They became quiet for awhile, then Vaughn offered to walk Sydney back
to her hotel. He didn't know where that was, but she said she would
lead the way. He held out his hand to her, hoping she would take it,
and he smiled at her as she took hold of it. They walked hand in hand
for a while until Sydney led him to a hotel Vaughn recognized as the
one he was staying at.

When they reached her door, Vaughn asked, "How long will you be staying here?"

"I'm not sure. I just can't go home yet."

"Did you do something wrong?"

"No, it wasn't anything I did. It's just... Some people aren't there
who used to be. That's all I can say." Vaughn nodded, not wanting to
push her. "So where are you staying?"

He grinned. "Two floors up. Sydney would you like to tour the city with me tomorrow?"

"Michael that sounds wonderful."

"Say 9 o'clock? I'll pick you up at your room."

"Great, room 147 level 3."

"Sydney, I had a great time tonight. Good night."

"Michael I did too. Night."

With that they headed up to their rooms with plans to see each other tomorrow.

End of chapter 3

yes i must agree with kit yet again! lol great update!! humm lost my train of thought................o well ill review again when i get it back!! lol thnx for the pm!

So cute! Glad that their meeting went well and she didn't think that he was a stalker or something!

Good chapter! Thanks for the PM!

Megan

Great Chapter....I loved how they just walked and talked...Can't wait to read about the tour of the city...Thanks for the pm...Update again soon...

ooooooooo *giggles* they're so sweet! i'm so excited! this is so cute! i love that they held hands, i knew they would!ooo i'm so so excited about this one! so great! thnx for the pm! can't wait for the next chappy!

Back