Animation Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Title: Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Genre: Action & Adventure, Animation, Drama, Sci-Fi & Fantasy, War & Politics

First aired: 2007-10-06

Creator: Seiji Mizushima

Cast: Hiroshi Kamiya, Shin-ichiro Miki, Mamoru Miyano, Miyu Irino, Hiroyuki Yoshino, Haruka Tomatsu, Yuichi Nakamura, Arisa Ogasawara, Arisa Ogasawara, Arise Sato, Aya Endo, Ayahi Takagaki, Ayumi Tsunematsu, Chikao Ohtsuka, Chiwa Saito, Daisuke Namikawa, Hiroki Touchi, Katsuyuki Konishi, Kei Shindo, Keiji Fujiwara, Kenji Hamada, Masataka Azuma, Michiko Neya, Minami Takayama, Toru Furuya, Rie Kugimiya, Takaya Hashi, Unsho Ishizuka, Yasunori Matsumoto, Yoko Honna, Hideyuki Umezu, Shinya Fukumatsu, Shinya Fukumatsu, Tomohisa Aso, Yuji Ueda

Overview: The year is 2307 A.D. Although fossil fuels have been depleted, humanity has obtained a new source of energy to replace them, in the form of a large-scale solar power generation system based on three huge orbital elevators. However, the benefits of this system are available only to a handful of major powers and their allies. In this world of never-ending conflict, a private armed organization appears, dedicated to the elimination of war through armed force. Its name is Celestial Being, and it is in possession of "Gundam" mobile suits.
Mobile Suit Gundam 00

So lately I've been watching a bunch of old shows in my queues and Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (MSG00) came up at Hulu.

I liked the first season of MSG00 enough to marathon it. I watched some of the original MSG stuff way years ago but haven't watch any since then. The first season was a good reminder why MSG has a lot of fans. The season season I wasn't as crazy about. I kept thinking about a line from The Incredibles about "If Everyone Is Special, No One Is.". S2 is essentially everybody now has giant mobile fighting suits and each time one side gets an upgrade, the other side gets a similar upgrade, to the point where there is nothing special anymore about the original Gundam suits. The result is that the battle scenes and other scenes with the mobile suits lose their sense of gravitas; here are giant mobile suits of armor capable of amazing things that in S1 are viewed with a sense of awe while in S2 having these giant suits battle each other is just another day.

What's weird is that the opening intro made me think of Republica's "Ready to Go". No, no, seriously.... :D Listen to the first 30 seconds of the MSG00 intro and then listen to the Republica song.