Set Me Up

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>SET ME UP</span>
Disclaimer: I don't own anything ALIAS; that privilege belongs to J.J. Abrams whom I hope does not abuse such a wonderful opportunity.(hint hint, nuge nuge for S3)

A/N: I'm basically cutting out the last three to four minutes of 'The Telling' just because I can. Just assume the story picks up after Sydney passes out in her bedroom. Some songs will be incorporated into the story because in many cases they were my inspiration. ENJOY!!!!! (Goo Goo Dolls own Sympathy)

SYDNEY'S HOME - LOS ANGELES

Vaughn had turned around after dropping Sydney off, when he realized she had left her wallet in the car. He knew he could have given it to her while picking her up for Santa Barbra but the chance to see her before that was too tempting.

Every light in the complex was on, giving Vaughn an eerie feeling when getting out of the car. The feel of his gun holstered at his hip reassured him momentarily yet it did nothing to calm his nerves. A neighbor of Sydney's opened his door to the sound of Vaughn's footsteps.

"I thought you were the police." He commented.

"Did you call the police for help?" Vaughn tried to look past the man, into his apartment to determine if anyone needed assistance.

"There was a commotion down the hall so I called the police. They should be here any minute now but I would be careful." The man indicated Sydney's door with his chin.

Vaughn felt his blood run cold and his body still uncomfortably. "Stay inside your apartment until the police arrive." He told the man then withdrew his gun and held it carefully at his side.

"Is that thing registered?" The man was beginning to irritate Vaughn causing him to ignore his last question.

Vaughn placed his hand on the door handle and turned it gently. The door yielded to his actions and opened easily. Despite being completely quiet, the apartment was a mess. Vaughn walked slowly to avoid injuring himself. He picked his way to the bathroom where the door's hinges were no longer existent.

The body in the tub made his heart jump into his throat. Vaughn immediately recognized Will and moved to his side to check for a pulse. The blood saturated by his cloths must have looked worse than it was because Vaughn felt a subtle thumping against his fingers at Will's neck. Relief washed over him and he quickly grabbed towels from the cupboards and tied them around Will's waist to slow the bleeding. With a few more blankets Vaughn covered Will to ward off shock induced chills.

Once Will was taken care of, Vaughn allowed himself to ponder the fate of the others in the home. His eagerness to get to Sydney was tempered only by the sight of both their friend's near death state. Vaughn followed the trail of destruction to Sydney's bedroom and found a nightmare.

Laying closest to him was Francie's prone and bullet ridden form. From the angle of her neck and lack of movement Vaughn quickly surmised she was dead. However, directly in front of him was the object of his greatest concern.

Feeling as though he was walking through water, Vaughn made it to where Sydney sat half propped up, against the wall. The gun that had likely killed Francie was still grasped in her hand but her eyes remained closed. With shaking hands Vaughn checked for a pulse and with much relief found one that was slightly thready but otherwise solid.

Vaughn let out a load sigh then took in another sharp breath. "Syd." He called to her as he held her face. "Syd, come on, open your eyes." Her head lolled to the side and into Vaughn's hand. Sydney struggled to open her eyes and held the gun a little more tightly.

"Syd!" Vaughn said with a smile when her unfocused eyes finally met his fearful ones.

"Vaughn." She whispered. "Francie not her. Allison." Vaughn looked confused at Sydney's ramblings but his 'What' was met with the entrance of the LAPD.

"My cell phone." Sydney said before she lost consciousness again.

"Hands in the air." Was called from behind Vaughn. With reluctance, Vaughn moved away from Sydney and raised his hands.

He was surprised the CIA had not intercepted the police call when Sydney's residence had appeared on the scanner; however, he was not given time to ponder as the police advanced on him.

"Drop your weapon." The same cop stated.

Vaughn looked down and saw that he still held his gun at his side. "Listen, I'm going to put down my weapon but you have to listen to me. I work for the State Department and two of the three victims are my colleagues. I just arrived here and was told by a neighbor that you had been called. They need medical assistance immediately." Vaughn placed his weapon on the ground and was instantly assaulted by two cops who patted him down. They removed his identification which had his security clearance for the State Department as cover for the CIA.

"He's for real." The man holding his ID said.

Following that announcement another group entered the apartment barking orders. "We've got this. You can go." Paramedics rushed to Sydney and strapped her to a gurney.

"Who the hell are you?" One of the police men asked.

"FBI. This is a state sensitive issue; it falls under our jurisdiction." The LAPD tried to put a fuss but were shooed out of the apartment and away from the building. "Agent Vaughn?" The new arrival asked.

"Yes. Are you Agency issue?" Vaughn asked.

"We are. What happened here?" The man asked.

"I'm not certain. I came in only minutes before you. But by the damage and its path I would guess that Sydney was fighting with someone. She said something about her cell phone." Vaughn scanned the floor looking for the device and found it by the far side of the bed. He hit the talk button and found a saved message from Will.

After listening to the message, Vaughn turned back to the man looking stunned. "The deceased woman and Sydney fought; Sydney shot her. The woman is likely responsible for the Will's injuries." Vaughn moved to Sydney's side as the medics assessed her condition.

"Will is the stabbing victim?" Vaughn nodded in agreement and looked to the medics for answers.

"Extreme exhaustion, dehydration, minor blood loss, shock and a concussion. You said she was conscious not too long ago which is a good sign. We're taking both of the injured now." Vaughn began to follow them out.

"Take the body to the CIA and ear mark it for exploratory toxicology and pathology and call Jack Bristow at the Joint Task Force and let him know where we'll be." Vaughn ordered before leaving the apartment altogether.

ST. PETERSBURG, RUSSIA

Irina watched the subtle movements dance across the grainy black and white screen before her. With tears in her eyes she brushed the glass with her fingers before shutting the picture off.

She leaned back and was unable to close her eyes before one tear escaped. No attempt was made to wipe it away. Irina was determined to wear the tear in hopes of finding forgiveness for her poor decisions and short-comings. She had another obstacle to overcome in the battle that was her life and this time she was going to come out on the right side, if only her plan would work...

HOSPITAL

Vaughn paced the halls of the hospital, waiting for word on Sydney and Will. The latter had been taken directly to surgery while Sydney had been given a CT scan and being closely monitored.

Catching sight of Jack walking briskly down the corridor, looking for his daughter, Vaughn called to him.

"Jack."

"Agent Vaughn, what happened?" Jack looked less then stellar in Vaughn's opinion. He was still recovering from his torture sessions with Sloane and should have been in a hospital himself.

"Francie was the second double." J ack's face showed surprise but he didn't interrupt. "It seems Will figured it out and got a knife in the stomach for his troubles. When I dropped Sydney off, she received a message from Will and as far as we can tell, a fight ensued. Francie or Allison is dead and Sydney is being check due to her head injury."

Jack nodded along to Vaughn's story then with a furrowed brow asked, "And Mr. Tippin?"

"Will is in surgery but the doctors believe his prognoses looks good." Vaughn answered.

Before further conversation could take place, Sydney's doctor approached. "Ms. Bristow looks good. She has a minor concussion but nothing to be overly worried about. The swelling is quite minimal and I would like to release her tonight, if there is someone to stay with her. Basic concussed victim rules apply: keep her awake for the first six hours then wake her every two hours to reduce risk of uncontrollable swelling."

Vaughn nodded his head in understanding but Jack was the one to answer. "She will have someone with her." After that the doctor was met with a stony silence.

"Well, I'll just go draw up her release forms so you can be on your way." The doctor began walking away.

"Excuse me." Vaughn called after him. "Another man came in with us, Will Tippin; he was taken to surgery. Would you happen to know his status?"

"I'll check for you." The man smiled at Vaughn then glanced hesitantly at Jack before walking away.

Moving briskly, Jack had already begun walking to Sydney's room. Vaughn had to hurry to catch up with the older man. Sydney was sitting up in bed when the two men entered the room. She smiled sadly at them before dropping a façade altogether.

"Sydney, Agent Vaughn told me what happened." Jack spoke first.

"I'm fine Dad. A little shocked but otherwise okay." Her hand reached for his.

"The doctor said you are able to leave tonight." Vaughn chimed in. "But you need someone to stay with you." Vaughn felt uncomfortable inviting her to stay with him while Jack was in the room. He hoped Sydney would understand that an invitation was implied.

"You're welcome to stay with me Sydney." Jack looked uneasy.

"Dad, you're recovering as well. I don't want to be a burden; I'll stay with Vaughn." Sydney stared at her father, challenging him to question her decision. Instead, Jack turned to Vaughn with understanding and acceptance. He recognized Sydney was no longer six years old and the man before him was a large part of her life.

"I suppose some rest would expedite my own recovery. Mr. Vaughn, I expect you to take good care of my daughter, she is the only child I've got." Jack continued to bore holes in Vaughn, however his tone turned significantly lighter. "Good night Sydney. Mr. Vaughn." Jack addressed them both before exiting.

"I'm assuming your doctor told you Will was taken to surgery. I doubted you would be as calm when we entered." Vaughn sat on the bed and took her hands.

"They gave me something mild for the pain; I think it kinda calms you down as well. Have you heard anything about Will?" Before Vaughn could answer her question the doctor appeared.

"Mr. Tippin has just been moved to recovery and appears to be doing well. He will likely not awaken until tomorrow morning, if you would like to return to see him." The doctor told Sydney and handed her the release forms to sign.

"Is that your subtle way of saying you don't want us roaming the halls this evening?" Vaughn smiled at the doctor and glance at Sydney.

"It's important that you get some rest whether you sleep or not, Ms. Bristow. Staying here is not going to provide you with such and I promise that your friend will not miss you while you are at home." The doctor smiled back at Vaughn and Sydney.

"Thank you." Sydney handed the forms back to him and smiled.

"Remember to have a follow up in a week and if the pain doesn't subside to come back in." With that he was gone.

"Come on, let's get you home." Vaughn got up off the bed and help Sydney raise to leave.

JACK BRISTOW'S HOME

Jack arrived home more tired and weary than he had in a while. Sydney had been attack at home both literally and figuratively and it didn't sit well with him. He was unable to determine what Sloane was truly hoping to garner from the situation and more importantly, had Irina know? Her role in Sloane's scheme became more obscure with every revelation. She had helped Sydney find him just days ago, yet more of her network had been activated in the last forty-eight hours.

Panama had been difficult for Jack to come to terms with. He had held out hope that the implantation of the passive transport would be unnecessary but in the end Irina had proven her true colors. He still wasn't able to understand why she slept with him in Panama.

Having already removed the transmitting device, seducing him seemed redundant, but then much of the night had been confusing. Irina made sure Jack had his eyes open the entire time they move together. She stared wide eyed and openly into his face almost begging him to understand something intangible.

Before Irina had fallen asleep she had cuddled close to Jack and asked him about San Francisco. They had spent a week at an inn in the city after Jack had proposed. It was all very sweet and had almost been Jack's undoing. He had struggled with himself on whether to plant the device or not, but eventually his head out voted his heart.

Jack realized that while he recounted his memories, he had been standing in the middle of his front foyer, unmoving. He picked up his feet and strode into the living room. Jack stopped short when he caught sight of a foreign object sitting on his coffee table. He looked around quickly but found himself alone.

The package consisted of a folded piece of paper and a CD. The note had been written in calligraphy and showed an obvious amount of time had gone into its preparation. Jack was tense, knowing someone had been in his house but it did not stop him from picking up the CD and note which read:

Jack,

Our lives have brought us together and taken us apart. While San Francisco marked an occasion of us together as one, I write this alone. Know that these words are only the beginning and that I have much more to share with you.

I.

A curiosity bore of being a spy pushed Jack to place the CD into the stereo and press play. Thoughts of the CD being a trigger for another device played across his mind but were dismissed in favor of investigation methods. The song that began to play made all thought drift from Jack's mind, to be replaced with an encapsulated feeling.

Stranger than your sympathy

This is my apology

I'm killing my self from the inside out

And all my fears have pushed you out

I wish for things that I don't need

All I wanted

And what I chase won't set me free

All I wanted

And I get scared but I'm not crawling on my knees

Oh yeah, everything's all wrong yeah

Everything's all wrong yeah

Where the hell did I think I was

I take these things so I don't feel

I'm killing myself from the inside out

Now my head's been filled with doubt

It's hard to lead the life you choose

All I wanted

When all your lucks run out on you

All I wanted

You can't see when all your dreams are coming true

Oh yeah, It's easy to forget yeah

You choke on the regrets yeah

Who the hell did I think I was

All these thoughts you stole from me

I'm not sure where I belong

Nowhere's home and I'm all wrong

And I wasn't all the things I try to make believe I was

And I wouldn't kneel before the dreams I wanted

All the talk and all the lies

Were all the empty things disguised as me

Yeah stranger than your sympathy

Stranger than your sympathy.

Jack was unable to move from his spot by the stereo when the song ended. The words were very specific and obviously chosen carefully but he didn't know what they meant. He shut the power off on the machine and wondered toward his room more confused than before.

ST. PETERSBURG, RUSSIA

Irina paced the expanse of her room, wondering whether Jack had received the package yet. She had debated whether to leave it at all but when she had learned that Sydney had been taken to the hospital she contacted a friend and had them drop the 'gift off in Jack's home.

It was a small step in the direction she was hoping to go, but a step none the less. Irina knew that she was working within tight time constraints and it was imperative that she get through to Jack before her time was up...

TBC

FEEDBACK!!!!!FEEDBACK!!!!!

cool another one of yours i can't wait to read more can u please pm me as well when u update i can't wait to see where this is going

Chapter 2

VAUGHN'S APARTMENT

Carrying a mug of tea, Vaughn entered his living room to find Sydney curled up on one end of the sofa.

"So, how are you really feeling?" Vaughn passed her the mug before sitting.

"Overwhelmed, confused and about five-hundred other things." Taking a small sip of teas, she continued. "I'm worried about Will and my father and I still haven't come to terms with Francie really being Allison." She sighs with exhaustion.

"Syd, it's likely that Francie is-" Vaughn creased his forehead in apology.

"Dead." Sydney cut him off. "I know Vaughn. I haven't come to terms with that either. I just-" She pauses. "I just want to forget about everything tonight." Leaning her head back against the couch, see closes her eyes.

"You've got to stay awake for a while longer, so why don't I put a movie on. We can relax and not think." Vaughn smiles warmly and strokes Sydney's cheek.

"Sounds wonderful." She moves to kiss him lightly. "I'm going to have a shower first. You find a movie and get us something to eat." Sydney smiled and left the room.

Bogotá, Colombia

Sloane reclined on a deck chair in front of a crystal blue pool. Birds chirped in the surrounding trees as the mid day sun beat harshly against the water and reflected against his sunglasses much as his mind reflected over the events of the past months.

He was startled to realize that events after Emily's death were a blur of guilt and fury. Losing sight of his patience and ingenuity had caused too many mistakes on Sloane's part. The Rambaldi machine was of no value with out the manuscripts that's disappearance coincided with Irina's.

The deceitful seductress had stuck again, leaving him bitter and eager for revenge. But Sloane decided retribution would have to wait in favor of completing his journey and unmasking Rambaldi's prophecies.

Sloane laughed aloud at the common bond he now shared with Jack Bristow. They had both been deceived by the same vindictive woman. However, his plight was less dramatic than Jack's had been; Jack had trusted Irina to never betray him years before while Sloane had merely trusted Irina to use good sense and not endanger her life by crossing him.

"Mr. Sloane, you asked to speak to me." Sloane glanced unimpressed at the middle aged man before him.

"Yes, I would like a status report on our Los Angeles prospects." Sloane took a slow drink from his Vodka Tonic.

"Mr. Bristow appears to be recovering quite well from our recent encounter with him. The younger Bristow had a run in with the double and ended up in the hospital with minor injuries. She was released into the care of Michael Vaughn and has not returned home since." The man stared intently at his boss.

"And the lovely Allison, what has become of her? Or more accurately her body?" Sloane seemed pleased that he deduced the killing of one of his operatives on his own.

The employee faltered at Sloane's obvious satisfaction but regained his footing quickly. "The CIA cleaned up the scene and took the body with them. Where it went from there is anyone's guess."

Sloane's eyes narrowed at the man. "I suppose it is a good thing I don't pay you to guess." His posture retained its relaxed demeanor.

"Yes Mr. Sloane." He paused. "Was there anything else you wished to speak to me about?" He tried not to fidget in his heavy suit under the heavy rays of sun.

"Keep me apprised of Irina Derevko's operations. If she reveals herself, I want to be informed right away." Sloane took another sip of his drink. "That will be all." The still of the trees and water returned with the man's exit, leaving Sloane with a self-serving smile.

HOSPITAL

The morning had come much too early for Sydney and Vaughn. They had spent most of the night awake due to Sydney's head injury and had arrived at the hospital at the beginning of visiting hours.

Will had been moved to his own room and was resting comfortably, according to the nursing staff. Vaughn told Sydney to go on into Will's room and he would join them in a while, understanding Sydney would need time to explain the previous night's events.

"Hey, I was wondering when you were going to stop by." Will said easily. He made no move to sit up but managed a smile at her.

"I was sent home to rest and couldn't return until visiting hours." Sydney smiled. "How you feeling?"

"Like I was gutted. I tell you I have a whole new sympathy for fish." Will kept a straight facing causing Sydney to release a laugh. "You got my message." He stated.

Sydney nodded her head. "Not before Allison could figure out I knew who she was. We fought; I shot her then blacked out. Vaughn came back to drop my wallet off and found you in the bathroom." Sydney grasped Will's hand reassuringly.

"Any other revelations while I was out?" Will remained light-hearted.

"Well, it's logical to assume Francie is no longer alive." Sydney's eyes cast toward the floor in sorrow.

"I know. I figured that one out when I found the pills." His voice took on a solemn tone.

"The house is a mess." Sydney effectively changed subjects.

"I can just imagine. You didn't stay there last night did you?" The concern was evident.

"No, I stay at Vaughn's. My father is still recovering so I didn't want to inconvenience him." Sydney sat gingerly on Will's bed, no longer holding his hand.

"Speaking of Vaughn, is he at work?" Will tried to look around Sydney. "I apparently own him a debt of gratitude."

"He wanted to give us some time to talk alone but he should be right outside." Sydney moved to get off the bed when the door to the room opened marginally. Vaughn knocked and announced his entry.

"Hey man, how are you holding up?" He asked Will.

"Pretty good, all things considered. I hear you saved my life." Will smiled at Vaughn's sudden embarrassment.

"Just remember that nest time the Kings are in the playoffs." Vaughn smiled back a Will.

"Oh, I brought you something to eat. I figured you deserved something better than hospital food." Vaughn held up a bag from a diner near by.

"Mo's breakfast special." Will widened his eyes. "My favorite. Thanks." He reached out eagerly for the bag.

"Just don't let the nurses know I smuggled it in." Sydney smiled at the camaraderie between two important people in her life.

"So what are you guys doing today?" Will seemed interested in getting off the topic of his injuries.

"We have a debrief at headquarters in thirty minutes and then we were supposed to spend the weekend in Santa Barbra but it doesn't look like that's happening." Sydney looked truly disappointed.

"What's stopping you?" Will furrowed his brow. Sydney opened her mouth with the obvious retort but was cut off by the bedridden man. "I'm not going anywhere for a while and I will have people with me mot of the day. You guys should go and enjoy your weekend; with your schedules you're likely never to see a free weekend again."

Sydney and Vaughn glanced at each other in question. Finally Vaughn turned back to Will, challenging him. "You're sure you'll be alright?" Lines appeared on his forehead.

"I'll be fine. And you'll only be a few hours away. It'll make me feel better knowing one of us is enjoying the outdoors this weekend." Will immersed himself in his food. "Don't you have a meeting at headquarters to get to?" He looked up at them.

Sydney looked at her watch. "Oh, yeah we do. We'll call you every day while were away and we'll leave the number we'll be staying at so you can reach us." Sydney said sternly.

"Yes Mom. I promise not to get the carpets dirty while you're gone." Will smirked petulantly.

Sydney leaned over and kissed Will's cheek. "Remember, no funny stuff." She moved away from him to allow Vaughn to shake Will's hand.

"Get better and don't be afraid to call." Vaughn reassured.

"Have fun you two!" Will called from his bed, to which he received no answer.

ST. PETERSBURG, RUSSIA

Irina's phone rang causing her to rush and pick it up. "Yes." She answered.

"Ms. Derevko its Darius." Irina sighed in relief that he had finally gotten an opportunity to call. The middle aged man had been sent to infiltrate Sloane's operations and had effectively been cut off from communication with his boss.

"Darius, it has been a while. You set up your cover very nicely." Irina commended.

"How are my wife and the kids?" Irina grinned at the first question the man had thought to ask. One of the reasons she had picked him to help her was is unwavering loyalty to his family.

"They are fine. Caroline has said that Martin made his varsity foot ball team at school. It is quite an accomplishment for a freshman." Irina was delighted to be bombarded by happiness, if only momentarily.

"He is a great kid." Darius returned. "Sloane has been keeping an eye on Jack and Sydney. He wants them monitored closely; he also wants you to be taken care of when found." Irina could hear the trepidation in his words.

"Good, watching Sydney and Jack will give you the perfect opportunity to ensure they are safe. As for me, I'm safe from Sloane for now." She didn't give him any more information.

"I don't have much time left. I'll call you at the next possible time." Darius hung up before Irina could confirm his actions.

Irina walked to the large window at the side of her house, pondering her employee's words. Sloane was after her head; he would do anything possible to get his revenge. It seemed Irina needed more protection that she had originally thought, for she was no longer alone in the battle...

CIA TASK FORCE HEADQUATERS - L.A.

Sydney entered the building looking worse for wear. Bruises adorned her face and tiny cuts peppered her cheek and hair line. She signaled to Vaughn that they should make their way to the briefing room as no one else from the team was in the central office.

Kendall stopped talking upon the opening of the door. Everyone seated around the table turned to look at the pair who walked in.

"I take you are feeling better Agent Bristow." Kendall tried to find an even balance between concerned and authoritative.

"I am." Sydney responded. "I assume you have updated everyone on last night's events." She sat down with Vaughn quietly beside her.

"I have and we were just following it up with further information on Allison Doran." Kendall placed his hands on the back of his chair while standing.

"Does that not seem like a waste of resources and time?" Vaughn questioned. "The woman is dead, her life history is not important at this point. Should we not be focusing our efforts on finding Sloane and Derevko?"

"Sloane has built his Rambaldi machine and is likely to content for the time being. As for Irina Derevko, she has disappeared completely from our intelligence chain. Her operation is active but she has yet to claim her victory." Kendall sat back down heavily.

"What if she is not looking to claim a victory? What if she reengaged her syndicate to keep herself safe from Sloane." Jack piped up; he seemed disturbed by their conversation.

"That's going out on quite a limb Jack." Kendall said.

"Is it? Irina betrayed Sloane by giving his location to Sydney. She may have done more to sabotage his operations, making her a target." Jack studied the table before returning his gaze to Kendall.

The room was quiet as each team member absorbed Jack's words. Sloane was a loose canon without Irina to channel his attention to Rambaldi and he was capable to taking more drastic measures without a partner to consult. The game suddenly became even more dangerous.

"Okay, let's stay on top of any movement by Sloane or Derevko. If they are truly no longer working together neither of their Rambaldi collections is complete and there will likely be moves by both to obtain the missing pieces. That's all." Kendall remained seated as everyone quickly vacated the room. "Jack." He called in an effort to speak to him alone.

Jack stopped in his tracks and addressed Kendall impassively. "Was there something else?"

"What's going on Jack? You're distant and barely focused. You participated today, only to present the idea that Irina may not be the vicious woman you've been touting her as." He furrowed his brow in confusion and worry. Jack had not taken any time off after being held captive and Kendall was beginning to wonder if it had impaired his judgment.

"Irina left me a gift at home yesterday evening." Jack eyed Kendall wearily.

"A threat?" Kendall held his breath while Jack responded.

"No, an apology." Jack sounded less then thrilled with the thought. Kendall was too shocked to comment. "Actually it was a song that was meant as an apology and explanation."

"Effective?" Kendall crossed his arms over his chest with the question.

"If the purpose was to get me to second guess myself and Irina then I suppose the answer is, very." Jack took two steps away from the other man in thought.

"I may not always agree with your methods Jack, but more often then not you are able to read Irina's motivations. What do her recent actions tell you?" Kendall walked to the other side of the table but kept his eyes trained on Jack.

"That's what is disturbing me, this move doesn't make sense. She should be spending her time coming up with ways to outmaneuver Sloane." Jack paused. "Communicating with me in any way will not help to keep her hidden yet it seems she has made every effort to disappear." He sighed. "Her behavior has become erratic and I can't figure out what is fueling it."

"Jack, why don't you take the weekend off; Sydney and Agent Vaughn are doing much the same. On Monday you can bring the song in to be analyzed by tech. There may be more to it than music." Kendall couldn't imagine being put in Jack's position and didn't care to.

"I believe I'll take you up on that." Jack bowed his head marginally, in thanks, before departing from the briefing room.

On his way out of the building Jack was spotted by Sydney; she strode toward him rapidly. "Vaughn and I are heading to Santa Barbra this weekend. Here is the number if you have to reach us." She slipped a piece of paper in her father's hand. "Are you going to be okay?" Her worry was palpable.

Jack gave her a tight smile. "Have a good weekend and try not to worry about anything else." Without giving herself time for second guessing, Sydney pulled her father into a hug.

"Bye Dad." She said with a smile.

Jack watched as she got into Vaughn's car and drove away, before getting into his own vehicle. Instantly he noticed the note tacked to his dashboard. With hesitation he pulled the note free and read the carefully formed words.

Jack,

There is so much in my life to be sorry for Jack. I could never account for the hurt I caused you or our daughter but I would give anything to try. Our night in Panama keeps me going; you gave me a gift that night Jack. One more precious then you could ever fathom. The morning was marred by our separation yet the night was filled with thoughts of you, of how to stay in your arms, of how to keep you with me. I cherished our departure from reality but one must realize it never stays gone too long.

I.

Jack's hand twitched, prepared to crumple the paper until his good sense told him it may be of value to their investigation. He laid it gentle on the seat next to him and turned his key in the ignition, peeling out of the parking garage.

It wasn't until Jack hit the first set of lights outside the Task force that the CD play finally clicked on. It startled him; however, he did nothing to shut it off. Irina had piqued his curiosity ensuring Jack would see where her game was taking them. The words filtered through the car speakers in an ominous genre of music.

I've this creeping

Suspicion that things here are not as they seem

Reassure me

Why do I feel as if I'm in too deep

Now I've been praying

For some way to show them

I'm not what they see

Yes, I have done wrong

But what I did I thought needed be done

I swear

Unholy day

If I leave now I might get away

Oh, but this weighs on me

As heavy as stone and as blue as I go

I was just wondering if you'd come along

To hold my head when my head won't hold on

I'll do the same if the same's what you want

But if not I'll go

I will go alone

From that fool's mistake

And now forever pay

No, run

I will run and I'll be ok

To hold my head when my head won't hold on

But if not I'll go

I will go alone

I go a long way

To bury the past for I don't want to pay

Oh, how I wish this

To turn back the clock and do over again

To hold up my head when my head won't hold on

But if not I'll go

I will go alone

I need so

To stay in your arms, see you smile, hold you close

God, how it weighs on me

As heavy as stone and a bone chilling cold

Just tell me you will

The song played out instrumentally with the time it took Jack to reach his home. He turned off the engine and leaned back against the head rest, eyes closed. Getting out of the car took more effort than he would have liked. He bypassed the living room in favor of ridding him of his suit.

Jack removed his tie and jacket, draping them on the end of his bed. He was surprised to find another note and package sitting on his night table. Whoever was planting the gifts was becoming bolder, unnerving Jack.

Panama, 15 weeks ago.

I.

Was all that the note read this time. Jack opened the non-descript envelope that was leaning against the lamp post. Pulling the single object from the inside caused his stomach to drop and his breath to catch. The grainy, black and white photo was unmistakable yet Jack found him searching the corners for confirmation.

In the bottom left-hand corner a date of three days prior glared back at him, accompanied by the words 'baby Bristow at 15 weeks'...

TBC

hehe, I'm reading this at ff.net. I know whats gonna happen *laughs for unknown reason* U r very very talented

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback. I update quickly because of it. :D Hope people are still reading this.

Chapter 3

JACK BRISTOW'S HOME - L.A.

Jack was trained for stressful and shocking situations. His emotional responses shut down in favor of his rational, analytical brain. His first thought was to deny the possibility of Irina being pregnant altogether. The sonogram picture could have been faked easily enough and he didn't consider it beneath Irina to use such petty tactics.

The state of complete denial lasted only a short while, when the investigator in him stepped in to present the counter view. Irina and he had slept together almost four month before in Panama and any form of birth control had been the furthest thing from either of their minds. Jack realized now that he had assumed Irina was no longer able to conceive.

That thought struck him with surprising force. Irina may not be pregnant because in all likelihood she was no longer able to be. Jack realized he had to get his hands on Irina's medical report from her stay in the CIA before he could make any conclusions. But a sensation nagged at him that Irina was not lying about her condition, worrying Jack even more.

Despite fatigue creeping into his limbs, Jack picked up his keys and redressed in his suit to head back to the office. During the drive anger began to make its way into Jack thoughts. Anger at Irina for a number of things he wasn't able to pin down, anger at himself for sleeping with her in the first place and for childishly not using protection.

Paying no attention to the agents he passed, Jack made his way to his office and shut the door. The computer took a few moments to retrieve the information on Irina which left Jack to calm his breathing and grind his teeth. Finally the computer's beep signaled the information was available.

Scanning the report for the necessary passage, further details on Irina's health caught Jack's eye. He had never review her medical form before, making himself believe that her health meant nothing to him. Jack read the doctor's notes on the small scars that adorned Irina's body from head to toe. The scars appeared to be small incisions made to the major pressure points on the body. When questioned, the doctor reported that the patient had become cold and distant which had greatly differed from her sarcastic and dark comments during the earlier portions of the exam.

Jack was not able to recall any such marks on Irina's body when it had been bared to him in Panama are even the snippets of flesh he had viewed in India. However, he did have to admit to being in a hazy frame of mind during both those encounters.

Continual notes had been made and most made reference to Irina's menstruation. Jack sighed heavily when he saw the doctor's comments. Irina had sporadic and short menstruation cycles likely due to her lack of body fat but had not yet shown sighs of menopause despite her age. With a sinking feeling Jack closed down the computer and sat silently in his chair.

He was still no further in understanding what Irina wanted from him, or even if she was telling the truth but it was now a blatant possibility. Jack stayed seated for a while longer, not sure if he was going to be able to stand on shaky legs. The reality began to set in that he could have another child in a few months time.

Shaking his head of that thought, Jack forced himself to stand. Fate was not twisted enough to allow for Irina Derevko to carry another of his children, when he wanted nothing more than to see her dead. Jack made up his mind that nothing Irina said was true and her current claim was not to be excluded.

He left the office feeling better and more determined than when he had entered. He would find Irina and ensure she could no longer harm he or Sydney and IF she carried a child, that was obviously not his, it would be given to someone who would love it and care for it the way she never could.

SANTA BARBRA- VILLA

Sydney stood alone on the villa's balcony with her eyes closed. She was soaking up the heat of the sun and hoping they would burn away the demons she carried. The subtle contentment of five months before had been ripped from her so suddenly that she was left feeling numb.

For a moment in time she was happy; her mother was cooperating with the CIA and they had contact, Francie and Will were together and stable, Sloane was running out of time and she and Vaughn had finally been able to drop the façade and begin to form a relationship then it all stopped. Her mother was gone, Will had almost died, and Francie was no more.

"You interested in a late lunch?" Vaughn asked from the doorway.

Sydney turned and smiled at him. "Sure, if you feel like it." Then turned back around.

"Syd, we can go back to L.A. if it'll make you feel better." Vaughn's forehead creased in concern.

Sydney turned fully to face him and looked apologetic. "I'm sorry Vaughn, we only just got here and already my mind is wandering. It isn't fair to you or to myself. I do want to be here and I'm not ready to leave no matter how many times you may have to call my name to get my attention."

Vaughn moved closer to her and snagged her hand gently. "I have nothing to complain about. Just having you here with me is enough to make me happy. You've been bombarded by the negative side of life a few too many times lately and this weekend is supposed to make up for at least some of that. We can spend it doing what ever you want: whether it be at the beach, shopping, sleeping, reading or other more enjoyable pastimes; it is your decision." Vaughn smiled reassuringly.

"I think I'd like to hear your detailed description of 'more enjoyable pastimes' before deciding what I'd like to invest my time doing this weekend." Sydney slid flush with him.

"Oh, you'll like it trust me. There is no better investment to be made." He smiled as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

"I change my mind; a demonstration is going to be necessary." Any further conversation was covered by a searing kiss. The two skillfully made their way into the main part of the villa and away from any prying eyes outside.

JACK'S HOME - L.A.

The incessant ringing of the phone woke Jack from an uncomfortable sleep on the couch. He took note of the scotch still residing in the bottle and realized his attempt to drink himself into oblivion had been thwarted by his own body's fatigue.

The clock on the wall in front of him shone eleven-eleven in bright orange numbers. The phone continued to ring causing Jack to grope for it in the dark living room.

"What?" He answered harshly into the phone.

"Did you find what you were looking for Jack?" The voice answered back.

"What are you taking about?" He returned on full alert.

"The medical files." Was all he received in return.

"I don't have time for your games Irina." Jack sat up straight on the couch and stared longingly at the scotch. "How did you know I would look there?" Jack briefly toyed with the idea that she altered the files but that would have been impossible as only three people knew where to find them.

"Because you're very thorough Jack and you would first try to eliminate the most obvious possibility. But I'm sure all your search left you with were more questions." Irina said in an even tone.

"And you're going to answer them?" Jack said bitterly.

"I'm not lying about this Jack, I wouldn't."

"Well now that I have your word I suppose I should be satisfied." He said sarcastically. "What I don't understand is that if you are indeed telling the truth, why bother telling me. Unless you simply want to use this against me, or possibly lord it over me as a means to get what you want." Jack's voice rose, infused with hatred.

"I know what it's like not to be able to see your child grow up and I didn't want you to go through the same pain such a feeling caused me." Irina's tone was cautious but sincere.

Jack scoffed at her words. "You left Irina, it was your choice whether you got to be a part of Sydney's life or not and you chose not. So don't compare situations."

"The fact is Jack, that I can't do this on my own. I can't stay hidden forever and when Sloane does find me he won't hesitate to hurt our child to get to either of us. It would be the ultimate prize for him Jack; he would be able to garner his revenge on the two people who betrayed him. I know you don't want to hear this but I did what I had to in order to protect you and Sydney, now I'm coming to you in return." Irina sounded urgent but Jack paid it no heed.

"How many men did you have to sleep with before you got pregnant Irina?" Jack spit out. "I suppose after our marriage prostitution for a worthy cause comes naturally to you, so I'm sure it was no problem to ensure you met your goal." Jack began grinding his teeth while seething, just waiting for Irina's response.

To his surprise the line remained silent. He could hear Irina's measured breaths but she didn't utter a word. Jack furrowed his brow in confusion; she should have been slinging insults back at him but instead she gave nothing.

"I need you now Jack." Her answering words were quiet and shaky, nothing like the strength Irina Derevko embodied.

"You must think me the biggest fool you've encountered. I'm not falling into another of your traps Irina. You handle your own life; they were your decisions that took you there." Jack hung up the phone with fury. He dropped his head in his hands and began replaying the conversation over through his mind, nothing made sense. Irina was changing the game and he didn't know how to change with it.

ST. PETERSBURG, RUSSIA

Irina dropped the phone beside her on the table after listening to the dial tone for a short while. She did nothing to wipe the tears Jack's comments had forced from her eyes for she was alone in the house.

Fear had been something Irina had faced very few times during her life but the feeling seemed to be encasing her lately. She knew she wouldn't be able to keep herself or the baby safe for long and when Sloane found her she would have no defense.

Her hands drifted to her lower abdomen where they softly ran over the small lump beginning to form. A decision had been made when she had heard the heartbeat for the first time, no matter what, Irina would make sure the baby was alive and taken care of. Nothing would stop her from protecting her child as she had tried to do for Sydney so many times before.

Irina had underestimated the degree of hatred Jack had for her. She knew he had implanted the passive transmitter after they had made love in Panama but she had held onto hope that he still cared for her and had more than his job in mind when he was with her. With a jolt of clarity she realized she still hoped he cared for her and even loved her, which meant she would have to work harder to get him back.

TBC

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Chapter 4</span>

JACK BRISTOW'S HOME - MONDAY (long weekend)

Each morning the sun seemed to immerge earlier which roused Jack from his comfortable bed. He got up and worked through his morning routine, finally making it to the kitchen for breakfast. On the kitchen table sat a large bouquet of lilies and a parcel. Immediately Jack looked around the room for signs of an intruder but found none. He was furious with himself for not hearing the person enter the house and realized he could have easily been killed.

There was no note this time but Jack understood the significance of the lilies. He had given Irina lilies every day for a month after finding out she was pregnant with Sydney. He likely would have continued if Irina had not insisted he stop as they were saving money for the baby's arrival.

The parcel was yet another CD and Jack found himself debating whether to play it or not. He didn't understand what Irina was trying to gain from sending him music but once again curiosity won out and he placed the disk in the stereo.

I feel stupid - but I know it won't last for long

I've been guessing - I coulda been guessing wrong

You don't know me now

I kinda thought that you should somehow

Does that whole mad season got you down

I feel stupid but it's something that comes and goes

I've been changin' - think its funny how no one knows

We don't talk about - the little things that we do without

When that whole mad season comes around

So why ya gotta stand there

Looking like the answer now

It seems to me - you'd come around

I need you now

Do you think you can cope

You figured me out - I'm lost and I'm hopeless

Bleeding and broken - though I've never spoken

I come undone - in this mad season

I feel stupid - but I think I've been catchin' on

I feel ugly but I know I still turn you on

You've grown colder now, torn apart, angry, turned around

Will that whole made season knock you down

So why you gotta stand there

Are you help me out

You need to be together now - I need you now

Now I'm crying - isn't that what you want

I'm trying to live my life on my own

But I won't

At times - I do believe I am strong

So someone tell me why, why, why

Do I feel stupid now

And I come undone

Jack took the CD out of the stereo and placed it with the other two, intending on taking them to the guys in tech the next day and trying not to think of the words Irina had chosen this time.

SANTA MONICA

The late afternoon sun shifted in the sky, edging its way toward the horizon. The weather had been sunny and warm the entire weekend but now dark clouds waited in the distance. Sydney was packing while Vaughn finished in the bathroom. They spoke through the open door in raised voices.

"It looks like we're leaving just in time." Sydney commented.

"Yeah, although I would rather stay here through a storm than have to go back to work in L.A." The sink faucet ran behind his words.

"Me too, but we have jobs to get back to and I want to check up on Will and my Dad. He seemed a little distracted when we left and he actually took the weekend off." Sydney folded another item and placed it in the bag.

"I think he's just worried about what Sloane is going to do now that his machine has been assembled. And Will seems more than ready to leave the hospital." Vaughn chuckled at that.

"I know, it sounded like he was going to break something if he didn't get out of that bed when we talked today." Sydney smiled and glanced at the bathroom.

"Is there someone to stay with him while he's recuperating at home?" Vaughn asked.

"His sister is going to stay with him for a while. The CIA concocted a story about a home intruder; they informed Francie's family yesterday. I'm not looking forward to the mess I have to clean up at my apartment." Sydney kept her back to the bathroom door.

"The CIA had the apartment cleaned for you, so that's one less thing to worry about." Vaughn walked out of the bathroom to find Sydney's shoulders slumped and her head down. "Hey." He called to her and turned her around.

She had tears slowly sliding down her cheeks and a firm grip on her lower lips with her teeth. Vaughn took her in his arms and held her tight. She buried her face in the curve of his neck and continued to cry.

"Ssshh, hey." Vaughn was at a loss on how else to comfort the woman in his arms. She had gone the entire weekend with out tears or even a mention of pain. Sydney pulled back after a while and wiped the tears she could.

"I don't know if I can do this anymore Vaughn. I don't think I can face my best friend's family and tell them that their daughter is dead. We're not even giving them Francie to bury, but the person who killed her. She's dead because of me Vaughn and Will could have been." Sydney ranted evenly.

"I don't know what to tell you Syd. If you don't want to come back to the CIA then I respect that, you have to do what feels right for you. But I will say that leaving now would mean letting Sloane get away with everything. You deserve to be the one to take him down Sydney and you will. No matter what though, I'll be with you." Vaughn pulled her close again and kissed the side of her head. He placed both his hands on either side of her face and held it steady. "Remember, I love you." Vaughn then placed a small kiss on her lips.

Sydney smiled slightly and her eyes lit up. "I love you too." She kissed him this time. "And you're right, I won't rest until Sloane is either dead or in lock up."

"Come on, we've got a bit of a drive ahead of us and I know you want to visit Will." Vaughn moved away from her and began placing the last few items into their bags.

"Michael," Sydney said softly causing Vaughn to look sharply at her. "Promise me we'll come back here." She still held the tiny smile with traces of tears in her eyes.

"Promise." He said seriously.

ST. PETERSBURG - RUSSIA

Irina lay on a bed in her home with her shirt drawn up and stomach exposed. A woman stood beside and ran an ultrasound wand across her flesh. Both their heads were turned toward the small monitor clearly depicting a contrast of white, black, and grays.

"Everything looks good Irina. I don't see any reason to continue weekly ultrasounds." Her Russian accent bled obviously through her English. "Any falls or hits you may have taken have not damaged the baby." She wiped the gel off the wand then Irina's stomach.

"Thank you. I've been worried ever since I found out I was pregnant. This was not something I expected at my age." Irina sat up and readjusted her clothing.

"You would be surprised how many women get pregnant at or around fifty, thinking it is no longer likely. Menopause is being delayed longer in our society while puberty seems to arrive sooner. And menopausal babies have increased in fredquency thrity percent. But I must tell you again that eventually you'll have to come in to the hospital to see me. I can not keep coming to your house to do your check ups, you're high risk as it is." The woman began putting her equipment away.

"What things can't you do here?" Irina asked.

"I can't do an amniocentesis here and I would recommend you get one." Irina waited for her to elaborate. "The risk of genetic mutations or anomalies rise with a woman's age. Unfortunately this child has a significant chance of being born with Downs Syndrome. I would just like to take every precaution with you." Irina got up and walked the doctor down the stairs, to the front door.

"I understand. Call me when you would like to set up the test and I'll be there. All I ask is that we keep this confidential. I would like you to perform the test with no one else in the room and no record of the sample being tested to appear in the hospital records." Irina's eyes pleaded with the woman.

"I'm sure I can manage that." The doctor smiled at her patient before leaving the house.

Irina shut the door and locked it. She was exhausted and it was barely late afternoon yet. She collapsed gently onto the living room couch and closed her eyes momentarily. The pregnancy was making her tired but more than that the lack of stimuli was creating a sense of lethargy. Irina rarely left the house and few people entered. She had done her best to keep herself well hidden and away from danger. The only contact she made, with anyone other than her trusted physician and the housekeepers, was with Jack.

She ran her syndicate through the wonders of technology from the study down the hall. She ran, swam and kick boxed to stay fit; she read books, watch more T.V. and movies than she had during the rest of her life and listened to new and old music. But much of the time she found her thoughts drifting to Jack and their night in Panama. Irina marveled at every variable that had to be in place in order to cause conception.

The odds of conceiving were low to begin with but she and Jack had picked one random night in twenty years to make love and the result seemed to have been fated. There was no other explanation for the child she carried; the child she had already fallen in love with.

Irina glanced at the large mantel clock and decided it was time for further action where Jack was concern. She picked up the phone and dialed his number from memory....

TBC

wow theres a lot of it isn't there. From what I've read so far its excellent but I haven't finished yet cos I'm tired and its like 10:20 and I haven't slept in ages. But yeah I think this is great.
Can i get a PM when you update.

OMG, how do you do it. You are such an awesome writer. I loved reading your fics. Can I get a pm when you update? This is just too good! (y)

Love ya,

Lauren :angelic:

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Chapter 5</span>

JACK BRISTOW'S HOME - L.A.

Jack heard the phone ring and left the bathroom to catch it before the machine did. He had been in the process of preparing for bed after reviewing files and getting things in order for his return to work the next day.

"Bristow." He answered, assuming it was either work or Sydney.

"Jack." The other end replied causing him to grip the phone tighter.

"Tell me Irina, are you truly interested in stopping Sloane?" He sat on his bed.

She was momentarily stunned at his question. "I've already told you I am Jack."

"Then explain to me why you continue to waste my time with these calls when I could be working on a way to bring Sloane down?" His tone held no bitterness or anger.

"I didn't realize I was taking up so much of your time or that the CIA was so close to finding and destroying Sloane. I suppose that means you don't want any help I can provide." Irina was having difficulty containing her reflexive temper.

"The CIA has experienced your help Irina. We're up a waffle iron and down a Rambaldi study due to your help." The second use of the word 'help' was nearly spit by Jack.

"Listen to me Jack, I'm hidden and safe for the moment but I'm not naïve enough to believe Sloane won't come after the Rambaldi pieces I took from him. If it were only my life I would be willing to take risks in protecting the pieces but it isn't." Irina's voice became soft.

"Of course, how could I forget that you're pregnant." Jack rolled eyes Irina wasn't able to see. "Playing the emotional card is getting old Irina; I suggest you change tactics."

"It's your child Jack and without your help I won't be able to protect his or her life. Tell me what I can do to make you believe me Jack; I'm fresh out of ideas."

"And the songs were so creative too." Mock disappointment ran through the line. "Save everyone a lot of trouble and have your body delivered to CIA headquarters; I'll believe you then." Jack heard Irina sigh over the line.

"Now you're just being absurd Jack. You don't want to see me dead." She hoped he would confirm her statement.

"Yes I do." Irina squeezed her eyes shut and bit down on her bottom lip. "However, being that you claim to be pregnant I suppose your death could be postponed until after your due date." Irina inhaled sharply as Jack's words reached her ears.

Something had occurred since the last time she saw him. He had changed; his last proclamation had reminded her too much of Arvin Sloane and she realized she was responsible. She had once again neglected to give him any explanation before escaping in Panama. The bitterness she had seen abating during her time in CIA custody was back with a vengeance, possibly at the cost her life.

"I don't understand you Irina. You have the largest information and criminal network in the world yet you claim to need me to protect you from one man. Why not just kill Sloane? You'll no longer have to bother me."

"You know it isn't that simple Jack. I don't know where the rest of Sloane's Rambaldi pieces are located and I can't risk not finding them if he's dead."

"So it all comes back to Rambaldi. You don't want me to protect you from Sloane; you want me to help you attain all the Rambaldi pieces. Y ou once said I was smarter than Kendall and even he wouldn't help you so what do you suppose my response will be?" Jack finally relaxed his grip on the phone, knowing he had the upper hand in their conversation.

"Go check your mailbox Jack." Irina said suddenly.

"What the hell are you talking about?" He demanded.

"Just do it." Her patience was wearing thin causing her accent to blend her words together.

Jack got up and walked to the front door. Irina could hear him pound the floor as he often did when angry.

"Another CD and I thought you had run out of ideas." Jack closed the door and turned the disk over in his palm.

"You're so quick to make yourself believe the child I carry isn't yours but you know there is a viable possibility whether or not you want to acknowledge it. I'm telling you without doubt; you are the father. You can punish me all you want Jack but don't punish our child; don't ignore he or she exists. I know you have so many regrets where Sydney is concerned, I do as well. We are being given a second chance Jack; please don't disregard that without contemplating what it means."

Silence reign over the other end making Irina wonder if Jack was still on the line. "Listen to the disk Jack." He still said nothing; Irina assumed he was putting the disk in the stereo.

Jack placed the CD in the stereo and brought his hand down and away from it. Without noticing he turned the volume high before pressing play. The speakers came to life with a quick pounding sound. Jack was confused as to the nature of the disk.

So loud was the noise, Irina could hear it on the other end of the phone line. "Do you know what this is Jack?" She didn't wait for a response. "This is the sound of our child's heartbeat."

It hit Jack with unbelievable force that there was another being involved in his dealings with Irina whether he liked it or not. "When are you due?" Jack's voice sounded shaky to his own ears but hoped Irina hadn't picked it up.

Irina found herself smiling into the phone. "December eighth."

"Good then I would recommend you discontinue communication with me in order to keep yourself safe in the interim." Jack hit the off button on his phone effectively ending the conversation.

Letting the phone drop to the coffee table in the middle of the room, Jack stood still listening to the beating heart continuing to play over the speakers.

BOGOTA, COLOMBIA

Sloane sat at his desk diligently reviewing information pertaining to his Rambaldi collection. Going on a week without any clues on Irina's location or the location of the artifacts she took with her was beginning to frustrate him. Letting his mask of calm escape him, he pulled his glasses from his face and threw them down on his computer keyboard.

The door opened to admit one of his subordinates resulting in the return of Sloane's composure. The man held up a folder without expression.

"The most recent surveillance from California Mr. Sloane." He handed the file over.

Sloane opened the folder and glanced at the pictures of Sydney, Vaughn, Jack, Dixon, and scanned the report attached.

"Have there been any further developments?" Sloane looked up at the man.

"Ms. Bristow and Mr. Vaughn spent the weekend in Santa Barbra, Mr. Dixon took his daughters to the park and checked in with the CIA late Sunday evening." He said.

"And Jack?" Sloane asked.

"Mr. Bristow didn't leave his home with the exception of runs on all three days."

"Jack took the weekend off?" Sloane sounded rightfully surprised; his employee nodded in affirmation. "Perhaps his encounter with me last week affected him more than I anticipated." Sloane narrowed his eyes at his desk top. "Jack Bristow's behavior has changed and I want to know what caused it."

"Yes Mr. Sloane."

"You've shown me nothing of Irina Derevko's status." Sloane's dark eyes narrowed at the man before him.

"No Sir, we have not been able to locate Ms. Derevko or the Rambaldi pieces she obtained while working with you but we're focusing the majority of our attention on the issue."

"Irina Derevko is not an issue; she is a menus and I want her found and disposed of." Sloane's voice was even and strong.

"Yes Mr. Sloane." Sloane looked away from the man signaling his time to exit.

CIA TASK FORCE HEADQUATERS - L.A.

Vaughn worked studiously at his computer in the centre of headquarters. He had arrived early and well rested from his extended weekend but found his concentration departing from the numerous tasks piling his desk.

Movement coming toward him caused him to raise his eyes to find the focus of wondering attention, entering the operations hub. She smiled when she caught him looking her way.

"Hey, how was Will this morning?" Vaughn spun in his chair when Sydney sat on the side of his desk.

"Better. He'll have to limit his movement for a while but the doctors said they would like to released him by Friday." Sydney said happily.

"Did you give him my gift?" Vaughn's smile made Sydney shake her head.

"I did and he said now he owes you even more. What is it with guys and video games?"

Weiss chose that moment to enter the conversation. "Syd, video games are only the single greatest invention of our time. It's like our generation's form of comfort." Vaughn and Sydney laughed at Weiss' shocked expression.

"Well, at least I know what to get you for your next birthday." Sydney said smiling.

"You're going to buy me a birthday present? I'm touched." Weiss responded in mock seriousness. "So how was the weekend?"

Sydney and Vaughn shared a knowing look and Weiss just glanced back and forth between them. "Okay, so it was great. You don't have to rub it in or anything." Weiss shook his head and began to walk off muttering to himself. "I've got to get a girlfriend."

Sydney and Vaughn watched him walk away with matching smiles. Before they could continue speaking, Jack strode into the work space with purpose etched across his face. Sydney scrutinized his appearance, knowing something was different but not able to pin it down.

His suit was smartly pressed and orderly on his tall frame; his hair sat neatly atop his head but his face told a story of fatigue and worry. Jack didn't seem to notice his daughter's eyes on him due to his impatient search of the room.

It didn't take Jack long to focus on Marshall and proceed to his desk in the corner. He spoke to him quickly in an attempt at thwarting Marshall's chance to be vocal. Handing him a set of disks he said his last sentence sternly to the younger man before walking away.

Sydney communicated her worry silently to Vaughn before following her father. She caught up with him in the hallway and called out to him.

"Dad!"

"Sydney." He said calmly. "You look much more relaxed since your excursion this weekend."

"Thanks, however I don't think I can say the same for you." Jack read the worry in his daughter's eyes and cursed himself for not masking his sleeplessness better. "I thought you took the weekend off."

"I spent the weekend at home but I took work with me. I'm fine." He saw that she wasn't buying his answer. "Really Sydney, you've got more important things to occupy your time; Sloane still needs to be found." His exterior hardened in front of her before he spun on his heel and walked down the hall.

Sydney was left standing in the middle of the hallway poised to speak. She decided to get answers her father was obviously unwilling to give. Turning to re-enter the main office she looked for Marshall.

TBC

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Chapter 6</span>

CIA TASK FORCE HEADQUARTERS - L.A.

Sydney caught up with Marshall in his tech room, eager to know what her father had him working on.

"Marshall." She said in greeting. He jumped and spun around, startled by her presence.

"Syd hi. What are you doing here? Well, you work here- I know- but what are you doing here in this room? Not many people venture in here but you're always welcome." He stopped and took a deep breath. "What can I do for you?"

"You can tell me what me father has you working on." Sydney smiled at him but Marshall looked uncomfortable.

"Um Syd, your father told me I wasn't suppose to discuss the work with anyone. But I'm not really sure why cause all he gave me was a few CDs with some pretty great songs. He wants me to check for further information on the disks but so far I haven't found anything." Sydney stayed quiet hoping Marshall would continue speaking. "Oh but this one is different from the rest on the disks." He held up a CD case and placed the disk in the computer.

"How so?" Sydney asked nonchalantly.

"Well, there's no music on it other than a base drum and echo." Marshall hit the play button for Sydney to hear.

"It sounds like a heartbeat." She concluded.

Marshall seemed both surprised and intrigued. "Hey, you're right. Bum, bum, bum, bum, bum." He chanted with it but faltered when he remembered Sydney was in the room with him. Marshall cleared his throat. "Isn't it a little fast for a heartbeat?"

"I don't know enough about the heart to help you out Marshall but I would look into it if I were you." She smiled one final time and started on her way out the door. Just before reaching the exit she turned around again. "My father didn't happen to tell you where those came from, did he?"

"N-no, he just said they had been delivered to him." Marshall looked worried; he realized too late he had shared his assignment with Sydney despite being ordered not to.

"Thanks Marshall and good luck."

Sydney walked back out to Vaughn's desk. "Well?" He questioned.

"My father has Marshall analyzing music." Vaughn leaned back in his chair with a perplexed frown. "He didn't tell Marshall where it came from or what he's to look for."

"Did your father mention anything?" Vaughn tapped his pen against his desk.

"No, in fact he did everything in his power to deter me from asking questions." Sadness crept into Sydney's voice, knowing her father was once again trying to distance himself from her.

"I'm sure he'll fill you in when he feels it's necessary, maybe it's nothing at all." Vaughn tried to reassure her.

"Yeah, you're probably right." Neither of them seemed too convinced of the idea.

THREE WEEKS LATER - BOTGOTA, COLOMBIA

"This is unacceptable! I gave orders and I expect them to be fulfilled, instead I have been made to sit idly by and watch your utter incompetence!" Sloane railed at three of his employees. "Do any of you understand what you are risking with each second you waste!"

"Sir, Ms. Derevko has continued to elude our searches. She seems to have disappeared completely from her organization." One of the men answered quietly.

"Irina Derevko wants what I have and she will stop at nothing until she gets it. She will surface eventually and try to complete her Rambaldi collection but I want her found before that! Do I make myself clear or do I need to better illustrate my point!" Sloane's tone spoke of unmentionable actions resulting in the nervous fidgeting of two of his operatives. The two left quickly and immediately got back to work while the third man remained in Sloane's office.

"Was there something else Darius?" Sloane kept his head down, reading.

"Sir I wondered if you would like to limit surveillance to only the Bristows in order to maximize people on the Derevko case."

"Do you believe it will make a difference?"

"I would hope Sir. However if I may be frank, I believe Ms. Derevko will only be found when she wishes to be." Darius had worked his way to the top of Sloane's hierarchy of employees in the short time he had been working under him.

"I would have to agree with you Mr. Larkin but I will not miss an opportunity to bring Irina in because I overestimated her abilities and intelligence." Sloane glanced up from his paper work.

The door to Sloane's office opened before Darius could finish. "What gave you the impression that I wanted you in my office?" He yelled harshly to the new arrival.

"I apologize Mister Sloane, but we think we've located Ms. Derevko." The man stated excitedly.

"You 'think' you've located her or you have?" Sloane's eyes narrowed in irritation.

"St. Petersburg, Russia Sir. We can't be certain she is still there but evidence indicates she has been sighted within the last week." He said in response.

"Have the jet prepared to leave within the hour." The man nodded his head and left the room. "Who says you can never go home again?" He smiled at Darius Larkin and exited the office as well.

Darius was left alone in the room with nervous thoughts. He had made a mistake and not intercepted information pertaining to Irina's location. Knowing he had no way of warning her of Sloane's arrival, he hoped that she would be able to protect herself.

VAUGHN'S RESIDENCE - L.A.

"Did you hear they are planning to move Sark permanently? He's probably going to be executed before the end of the year." Sydney called from the kitchen.

Vaughn was in his bedroom re-dressing after his shower. He had gone straight to the bathroom after arriving home from a weekly hockey game, stopping only long enough to kiss Sydney hello and notice she had begun preparing dinner.

"When did they make the decision final?" Vaughn called back.

"Five. Just after you left for the rink." She stirred one of the pots sitting on the burner.

"He hasn't been of much use the past few weeks. His intel is dated and useless now that Sloane and Irina have parted ways. I suppose it isn't a great shock." Vaughn walked into the kitchen in t-shirt and jeans, coming up behind Sydney. "Want some help?" He asked after kissing the side of her neck.

"Would you mind setting the table? Dinner will be ready in about two minutes." Sydney turned her head slightly to look at him.

Vaughn smiled in response and began pulling out the cutlery, plates and drinks. "I talked to Will today." He said while working. "He said they have him analyzing documents from Liberia. In short he's bored out of his mind."

"I know how he feels. These last few weeks have been so slow I feel I'm about to burst with anticipation. The task force has had nothing to bite for a while now and it is showing in the atmosphere at work. You've seen it Vaughn, doesn't it disturb you that so many people are becoming comfortable with our current state?" She dished the stir fry onto the plate Vaughn had brought down and each of them sat at the table.

"Yeah, I'm seeing people becoming lazy. I feel as though this is the calm before the storm so to speak." He answered.

"Have you seen my father lately?" Sydney asked.

"I've seen him around the office off and on. I heard the CIA is looking to promote him; he's been running ops all over the world with stunning results." Vaughn seemed pleased with her father's success.

"The few times I have seen him he's looked haggard. In three weeks he's run fourteen operations. That's unheard of!" Sydney leaned forward as though she were sharing a secret with Vaughn.

"I don't know what to tell you Syd. Your father is a grown man and is likely going to do things you don't understand but you have to trust that he knows what is best for himself."

"I know you're right but I just can't shake the feeling that there is more going on with him than he's letting on." She sighed, shaking her head. "Maybe I just need something to take my mind off of it."

"Well, I'm pretty sure I can help you there." Vaughn smiled at Sydney who cracked a smile in return. "I was thinking about how much time you spent here today and I came to a conclusion." Vaughn announced.

"Am I crowding you? Did you want me to give you some space?" Sydney asked warily.

"Actually the opposite. You haven't gone back to your apartment except to pick up more cloths since that night." They no longer made reference to specific events of the night four weeks before. "Most of your cloths are already here so I figure maybe you'd be interested in moving in with me, permanently." Vaughn waited for a response.

"You're serious?" Vaughn nodded his head in affirmation. "I would love to move in with you." Sydney smiled warmly but it didn't last long. "To be honest I have been avoiding the return to my apartment and am very pleased I won't have to return at all. Now I just need to get rid of it." Her smile returned giving Vaughn the urge to kiss her, which he did without hesitation.

CIA TASK FORCE HEADQUARTERS - L.A.

Marshall sat in his tech room, oblivious to the late hour. His mind was consumed with his latest invention and he was eager to complete it. He wasn't aware that he was being observed from the doorway with urgency.

"Mr. Flinkman, have you completed the assignment I gave you?" Jack asked with edge.

Marshall jumped high in his chair and spun around. He dropped the tools he held in his hand and began opening and closing his mouth much like a fish out of water.

"Mr. Bristow Sir, I didn't see you there. You must have snuck up on me." His eyes went wide. "Not that you would sneak up on someone but I- I-uh finished the assignment." He finished.

"And?" Jack prompted.

"I analyzed the disks in every conceivable way. I broke them down and isolated different sections of the music but I wasn't able to find anything unusual. These seem to be regular music CDs." Marshall's hands moved with his speech.

"Thank you Mr. Flinkman, now if I am have my CDs back?" Jack held out his hand.

"Um yeah- sure." Marshall dropped two of the disks on his desk while trying to hand them to Jack. "Your-" Marshall began speaking but Jack walked out of the room before he could complete his sentence. "Welcome"

Jack was bewildered with Irina's actions from three weeks before. She had bombarded him with messages and phone calls for almost a week but had stopped abruptly after Jack told her to. Nothing seemed to fit with Irina's normal behavior igniting a dull throb behind Jack's eyes. He didn't want to admit it to himself but he had been worried about her after the calls and notes had stopped; Sloane may have gotten to her because Jhe was unwilling to help. Jack quickly shook himself of that thought and decided to call it a night.

ST. PETERSBURG, RUSSIA

The house stood alone in a quiet forest area outside the main part of the city. Everything looked lush in the late June sun as Sloane and his guards positioned themselves within the brush.

"What are our orders Mr. Sloane?" One of the men asked through his ear piece.

Sloane was silent for long moments, carefully thinking of his strike plan. "On my mark I want all bodies to begin firing on the house. Aim for doors, windows and anything else that appears to be permeable." All lines were quiet in awe of how far he was willing to go, but each rifle was raised and set for his command.

"Mark." Sloane said easily as the tranquil home of Irina Derevko erupted in the angry sound of gunfire.

TBC

I'm using my evil laugh right now..... :P

Back