Set Me Up

(hangs head in shame) :blush:

K, so it's kinda been forever since I last updated....been doing that elsewhere. I have plenty more to post for those who haven't already read this...so if you're still interested give what is up a read a let me know.

**I'll just sneak out of here now.**

AN: There is so much of this story I haven't posted yet, so I'll do that. I don't know if anyone is really still reading this but if you are, I do apologize for the unacceptable wait for an update.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Chapter 7</span>

ST. PETERSBURG, RUSSIA

Sloane's smile seemed to be amplified with every bullet fired. The sun's glare had given way to twilight, allowing the firing squad an unhindered view of the house. The machine guns began to sound choppy as men reloaded clips time and again.

"Sir, our men are running out of ammunition." Larkin told Sloane as his stomach twisted itself in knots.

"Stop firing. I'm sure that's done it." The smile on his face never wavered.

"Weapons down." Larkin ordered to the men. In response he heard a few thankful sighs and the click of the safety on each weapon. Larkin turned his attention to the beaten structure that once served as a home. In its current state it would barely pass muster for a condemned barn.

"Shall we go inspect our work?" Sloane said eagerly as he stood.

The front door no longer stood on its hinges, pleasing Sloane to no end. The calmness of the house took him by surprise and the broken glass underfoot caused him to tense sharply. Three minutes of searching the house saw the loss of Sloane's grin.

"She isn't here." His statement was hard and icy. He turned and began his walk out of the house but spun back around to take a final glance. "What a waste." He said about the destroyed furniture and walls.

The men in the room understood that this meant Irina Derevko still needed to be found and sooner rather than later if they wanted to keep their lives intact. Sloane was reacting with reserved anger at the lack of current information but someone would take the heat for the mistake in the near future.

CIA JOINT TASK FORCE HEADQUARTERS - L.A.

"The Greta Statue." Kendall said as a picture of a golden female statue appeared on the conference room screen. "Made in Germany in the late eighteen hundreds, the statue was a gift from the English to Spain directly following the Second World War. It has remained in the Spanish parliament building until this man, Yogan Von Brightenhow, took it upon himself to remove it from the building and return it to Germany. All evidence leads us to believe he has acted independent of his country but that isn't enough to stop an international incident if the Spanish were to find out." Kendall sounded dismayed with the stupidity of people.

"Agents Bristow and Vaughn you will find the statue, take it back from Von Brightenhow and return it to the parliament building in the cleaning facility before they miss it. You leave at 0800 tomorrow morning." Vaughn and Sydney exchanged glances and left the room.

"This may be the first operation your father hasn't participated in over the last month." Vaughn said as he and Sydney walked back to their desks.

"I know. I haven't seen him around the last two days." Sydney hoped Vaughn would have information.

"Weiss said Jack was booked on a flight to Virginia a couple days ago. Rumors have been circulating that they wanted to see him at Langley." Vaughn sat in his chair and leaned back.

"You think he's getting a promotion?" Sydney asked thoughtfully.

"It would make sense." Vaughn replied.

"Yeah, but what position is left out here for him to take. I doubt they're going to continue the game of musical director. Both Kendall and my father are sick of it." Sydney looked down at the floor.

"I guess we should wait until he gets back." Vaughn smiled and raised his eyebrows at her. "Now as for this mission."

Vaughn trailed off as the two set out to work on the operation procedure. Hours passed before they were forced to come up for air with the ringing of Vaughn's phone.

"Vaughn." He answered. "Yeah, we're on our way." He hung up and allowed his eyes to rest on Sydney. "Kendall's calling us to the briefing room for an emergency meeting."

BRIEFING ROOM

The briefing room looked darker after being in it once before that day. Sydney felt as though she was dragging her feet with the few steps from the door to her seat. She noted the addition of Marshall, Weiss, Dixon and Carrie to the meeting before sitting. Moments later the door to the room opened and Jack breezed through. He nodded at Kendall with his mask of neutrality readily set to his features.

"We recently received intel that Sloane and a few of his associates opened full scale fire on a house." Kendall's tone sounded conflicted with somber and confused inflections. "The home was situated just within the boarders of St. Petersburg, Russia and appears to have belonged to Irina Derevko." Sydney's attention increased with Kendall's final words and he caught Jack's head snap sharply around to face him fully. "The house is in utter ruins but apparently no body was found." Kendall finished.

Under the table Jack gripped the arm rests tightly. He was surprised at the pain that ripped through him at the idea of Irina's death. Slowly he realized he cared for Irina whether he wanted to or not but acceptance was not going to follow easily. Endless possibilities of her death or continued life rattled around in his brain before a voice drew him from his musings.

"Sloane could have had the body removed." Carrie said.

"He would have seen it as a waste of his time." Jack spoke for the first time, shocking much of the group further.

"But it's safe to assume Sloane and Derevko have parted ways." Dixon said.

"It could all simply be an elaborate ploy to make us believe they are no longer working together while they slowly gain more of an advantage over us." Kendall countered.

"Has there been any sign of Irina since the attack on her home?" Jack wondered aloud.

"No. It appears she was careless for a few days before moving again. It is safe to say she has once again disappeared." Kendall paused. "Have you received any more of those packages from her Jack?" Jack's eyes could have cut through Kendall had he not been oblivious to the attack.

"I haven't received any for three weeks." Jack said defensively. He hadn't wanted anyone to know Irina had been sending him gifts of the most peculiar nature because they may find out more than they bargained for. Everyone around the table stared shockingly at Jack, he merely ignored them.

"We're likely to see Derevko retaliate if they are in fact working separately and she survived the attack." Kendall stated, closing the subject. "Jack, you have an announcement of sorts." Kendall placed his elbow on the armrest of his chair and closed his fist.

Jack cleared his throat. "I have recently been promoted to a sub-director position. As there are five of us currently working directly beneath the director, I will be able to continue working from the L.A. office; however, frequent trips to Langley will be needed to maintain the cohesiveness of the organization." Jack took a breath and indicated Kendall. "Agent Kendall will be keeping his position as director in charge of operations in the task force but he will be reporting to me." Kendall nodded in understanding, having already heard this. "That's all." Jack waited for everyone to get the hint to leave.

"Congratulations Jack." Dixon said while rising. He shook Jack's hand generously before leaving. Weiss and Carrie followed Dixon's example but Marshall seemed tongue tied yet again resulting in a half hearted 'what they said' comment and leaving.

"Jack, really this is great." Vaughn smiled and shook his hand as well.

"Yeah Dad, I'm happy for you." Sydney hugged him somewhat awkwardly.

"It doesn't warrant all this attention but thank you. Now if you'll excuse me I have a mandatory vacation to begin." He looked less than pleased with the idea.

"A what?" Sydney's brow furrowed.

"My position as sub-director doesn't begin for another two. The Director felt that the past month has been too stressful and I need a break despite my protestations; suffice it to say my job depends on not entering the office for two weeks."

"Well, don't have too much fun or you might not want to come back." Sydney smiled at her father, reveling in how sarcastic that comment must have sounded to him.

"I'll be sure not to." He replied with an attempt at a smile. Spinning on his heels he left the room as quickly as airily as he had arrived.

JACK BRISTOW'S HOME - L.A.

The drive home had been one of utter confusion for Jack. His mind carried on a conflicting dialogue all its own and had yet to resolve the problem. The surface thoughts tried to push Irina's face from his mind's eye but residing deeper were images of her hurt or worse. He decided this was yet another way she chose to torment him, cementing his determination to forget about her.

Jack had been in the door only fifteen minutes when he heard the phone ring. He debated whether to answer it or not but his curiosity won out and before long he was reaching for the cordless extension in his living room.

"Bristow." He said into the phone to no reply. "Hello." He tried again but heard nothing again. A huff escaped his lungs as he pulled the phone away from his ear.

"Jack, I need you." A small voice finally spoke.

~TBC~

AN: Glad to see at least a few people are still interested in this story. After having left it for so long, I didn't expect any response. :blush: Hope it was worth the wait.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Chapter 8</span>

Jack's breath hitched high in his throat. He didn't know whether to feel joy at hearing Irina alive and well talking on the other end of the phone or irritated at her gall. He contemplated putting the receiver back in its cradle but decided to use the opportunity to his advantage.

"Irina, good to know you managed to cheat death once more. I would think you'd have no more soul to sell after the years of death defying acts or was it that you didn't have a soul to begin with." Jack's mouth hardened.

"Quite elementary of you Jack, I would have expected something better." Irina paused and thought to try something new. "As I understand it, congratulations are in order."

"Are we back to playing the baby card Irina. I thought I made it very clear that I had no interest in your little games and I want nothing to do with your spawn, although my sympathies are with it."

"Listen to me you idiot. Stop deluding yourself, you're wasting so much energy trying to deny the truth; what is that accomplishing Jack?" Neither spoke for a few seconds. "And I was offering my congratulations on your promotion Jack. You deserved it."

Jack closed his eyes in exhaustion. He had jumped to conclusions and had shown his hand too early; the game was becoming too dangerous and reckless. He didn't know what was happening to him but he was not operating like the strategist he was reputed to be.

"Jack?" He heard Irina calling his name on the other end; her voice had lost its edge.

Jack made a split second decision that he realized could quite possibly change his life forever. "Where are you Irina?"

"What?" Irina's surprise didn't deter him.

"You say you need me Irina, where are you?" The resignation in his voice gave Irina hope that he wouldn't turn her in with the information she gave him.

"Syros, Greece." Irina listened to their mingled breathing before speaking again. "Thank you Jack."

Jack nodded his head against the phone as though she could see it and hung up. He set to work making plans to get to Greece without anyone tailing him; trying not to mull over his decision to see Irina.

SYROS, GREECE

Irina had spent an hour after hanging up with Jack staring at the wall in disbelief. She had not anticipated his sudden change in attitude nor was she prepared for what would happen when he arrived. It was a good possibility that he would arrive on the island with a brigade of CIA agents, ready to take her into custody but that was a chance she decided she had to take.

She walked outside onto the edge of the pool deck and looked out over the cliff the house was built on, into the vast expanse of the sea. Closing her eyes she reveled in the feel of the heat on her skin and the smell of salt water coming from the water meters below. She wanted Jack with her more than anything but she would miss the solitude of the last few months. She had discovered more honesty with herself in the five months she had been away from the absurdity of the intelligence community than during the rest of her life.

VAUGHN'S RESIDENCE - L.A.

Sydney was sitting on the couch reading, waiting for Vaughn to get home from Weiss'. Weiss had invited him over to watch a baseball game and Vaughn wasn't about to turn down the invitation. Sydney had laughed at his excitement and said she had errands to do anyway, so she would see him at home.

Her cell phone rang, startling her from the pages before her. Furrowing her brow, she recognized her father's cell number on the screen.

"Hello." Sydney pursed her lips with interest.

"Sydney. I'm glad I found you, you weren't answering your phone at home." Jack's voice held a measure of disinterest that Sydney questioned.

"I'm at Vaughn's. My apartment doesn't hold the same appeal it once did." Sydney felt nervous at revealing even the slightest weakness to her father, despite the many times he had seen her cry.

"Understandable. You may think about moving permanently." Jack said seriously.

"Yeah." Sydney bit her lip in concentration. "Was there something you needed to talk to me about Dad?" Sydney asked gentle.

"Yes. I was calling to let you know that I would be going out of the country for the next two weeks of my vacation and you likely won't be able to reach me. I'll call you some time next week to check on things at the office." Jack hoped Sydney didn't ask too many questions.

"Alright. Make sure you spend some time relaxing. Where are you going?" Sydney asked.

"Somewhere warm." Was all Jack answered.

"Dad it's almost July in California. It isn't warm enough here for you?" Sydney joked with her father.

"It is not likely I'm going to be able to relax while I'm within a thirty mile radius of the Task Force. So instead of battling the temptation to come into work everyday, I figured I should get away." Jack felt horrible speaking sharply to Sydney but he didn't know of any other way of deterring her interest without raising more questions.

"No Dad, it sounds like a great idea. Just not something I see you doing frequently. Have a nice time and I'll expect your call some time next week." Sydney replied easily.

"Thank you. Don't work too hard yourself and think about finding a new place to live. I hate to see you in limbo for too long. I'll talk to you soon." Jack hit the end button on his cell phone and dropped it into the trashcan at the airport. It wasn't going to be any more use to him.

Sydney dropped her cell phone on the coffee table in the middle of Vaughn's living room and stared at it in wonder before smirking slightly and turning back to her book. She realized she would likely never figure her father out but that wouldn't stop her from trying.

~TBC~

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>MORE MORE!!</span>
:jump:
Just got all caught up! Sorry for the lateness in replies.....had end of term s**t and finals....WHEW! Glad those are over! Now I'm SummerBreakFree!!!! :P (y)
LOVE :love: this fic...can't wait for more...thanks for the pm!! :D
Please update soon!! :woot:
Colly E. 🦋

Back